Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chocolate torte??

(10 Posts)
SammyW33 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:00:04

Hi

I've ordered an amazing looking black forest chocolate torte for my mums birthday but I'm pretty sure I can't have any.

The cake shop have said they use liquid egg but it's pasturised so perfectly safe?? Is this true??

My understanding is that chocolate torte is not cooked and therefore the egg is raw and that isn't ok, ever during pregnancy.

I'm first trimester still, scan a week on Monday. The cake looks amazing and would love to try it but frankly don't want to take unnecessary or unwarranted risks.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

TheOnlySeven Sat 22-Feb-14 16:41:59

If it's pasteurised it's perfectly safe. It'll be the same as the eggs in store-bought mayonnaise which is safe, it's only if they're using fresh eggs it's not safe.

cathpip Sat 22-Feb-14 16:46:26

A small slice is fine, says the heavily pregnant lady who caved in and ate Brie and biscuits with a large glass of prosecco last night

SammyW33 Sat 22-Feb-14 22:03:09

Thanks ladies. Cathpip good for you! I'm really missing red wine :-( your message did make me chuckle x

HelenHen Sat 22-Feb-14 22:25:08

Oh but there's plenty of research that suggests red wine is actually good for baby. I have a quarter glass every few weeks or so and feel human again smile

SammyW33 Sat 22-Feb-14 22:29:01

I like that news HelenHen! Maybe once we've had the scan I'll think about it :-)

Plateofcrumbs Sun 23-Feb-14 08:13:51

Pasteurised egg is fine so eat as much as you like! Sounds delicious!

HelenHen Sun 23-Feb-14 08:42:09

Lol Sammy... I don't wanna be encouraging anyone else. When I have my quarter glass, I make it last three or four hours, plenty of time for my body to filter it and never ever enough that I can feel it having an effect on me!

I was really good during my first pregnancy. Had the odd glass of wine but ate everything I was supposed to and only drank caffeine! This time not so much grin I've been having rare steak and runny eggs, one tea andcoffee per day and iI have even had a hot whiskey and a rum and coke! I have no research to say any of those are ok unfortunately! It's much harder when you have ed a toddler!

SammyW33 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:44:05

Lol HelenHen! I bet most of those things are fine really it's just the 1 in 1,000 where it isn't! The food side of things is driving me a little bonkers I must admit.

Anyway thanks to you lovely ladies reassuring me, I had a big fat slice of cake and it was incredible xx

MrsCosmopilite Mon 24-Feb-14 22:48:43

I was about 7 weeks pregnant before I realised (irregular cycle and was under a lot of stress). I'd already eaten unpasteurised stuff, drank wine, drank double g&t's.

I am veggie so had no worries on the pate front. In the end the only thing I cut out was blue cheese. Everything else in moderation.

DD is a very healthy and boisterous 3 year old now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now