Talk

Advanced search

Is swaddling safe?

(14 Posts)
Hellymummy Sat 22-Feb-14 14:59:47

My mother in law just arrived with a swaddling for baby. It is the proper Gro bag swaddling. I was just under the impression wasn't safe anymore. I read about babies getting too hot and overheated and how it reduces movenenin legs/ hips?? Anyone else heard/read anything??

Tomkat79 Sat 22-Feb-14 15:15:00

Not too sure of latest advice but my DS (now 7) loved being swaddled and settled him a treat. It was a very light shaped blanket and I made sure he didn't wear too many layers underneath. I think it's like everything these days y'know..:they have to explain risks and dangers to everyone to prevent daft people swaddling in 4 layers on hot days for 23 hours out of 24.

If your baby likes it then go with it. As I said not sure about restricting movement exactly but my son runs real fast smile

Oblomov Sat 22-Feb-14 15:37:18

I didn't know swaddling wasn't recommended any more! shock
Both my ds's loved it. Try it. If your baby doesn't like it, then you can stop!

KiwiBanana Sat 22-Feb-14 15:38:51

I did with DS and it was fab. I used a light swaddle as he was a summer baby. I found it helped him sleep longer as his jerky movements didn't wake him up like they would if he was in a normal blanket.

You should always keep an eye on their temp anyway no matter what blanket they're in.

JoinYourPlayfellows Sat 22-Feb-14 15:39:48

Mine all liked being swaddled.

DaleyBump Sat 22-Feb-14 15:44:49

As long as you don't swaddle their hips and use a cellular blanket to avoid overheating and keep an eye on their temperature it's perfectly safe. My DS loves it but at 12 week old an o

DaleyBump Sat 22-Feb-14 15:45:44

Sorry baby clicked my screen.

At 12 weeks and almost in 9-12 month clothes he's a bit big for it now sad

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sat 22-Feb-14 15:54:18

It was recommended with my first (she's 2.9 yo) but not with my second (18 mo) so it's very recent.

Hellymummy Sat 22-Feb-14 16:28:02

Yeah I did it with my first who is now 4 but I heard something recently, only past few months about stopping swaddling now!

Gingeroo Sat 22-Feb-14 16:32:25

I did if with my DS who is 9mo. Didn't realise it wasn't recommended. In, fact, they swaddled him in hospital. He loved it and we actually did it ages as he was very jerky for a long time.

I believe the advantage of the gro swaddles is that you can't do them too tight unlike some swaddles that come with Velcro etc to keep them done up.

TheOnlySeven Sat 22-Feb-14 16:35:57

It's very recent, my DD is also 9 months and I wasn't told the advice had changed. I've done it with all 3 and they're fine so I'll do it again if baby likes it. Just use common sense, not too restrictive and don't let them overheat.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 22-Feb-14 16:41:33

Both of our dcs loved being lightly swaddled in a thin blanket. We were taught how to do it by the midwives in hospital after dc1 was born (3.11 yrs ago)

We were careful not to overdress them and they didn't have any other blankets or bedding on them whilst swaddled.

cathpip Sat 22-Feb-14 16:42:51

With my first the midwives in the hospital swaddled him, (he is 5)and he loved it. With my second the midwives didn't (she is 3) but then she also came up in red blotches when too hot, she also hated it. This one will be lightly swaddled but only if they like it.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sat 22-Feb-14 16:45:21

Bh I think they give advice out for the lowest common denominator. Therefore it is simpler to say "dont swaddle" than it is to say "swaddle safely", much like the co-sleeping argument.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now