Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

skin to skin and b/f after a section

(13 Posts)
Peacenquiet2 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:19:54

How is this done? If im lied flat out being stiched up now can my baby be put on my chest safely and how on earth can he latch on?
For those who have experience please fill me in.

Peacenquiet2 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:20:34

*how not now

hazchem Sat 22-Feb-14 04:36:34

I've not done it myself but this video goes through a family centred or natural Cesarean including doing skin to skin after the birth. If your hospital is BFHI registered they should aim for one hour of skin contact straight after the birth for either vaginal or cesarean birth.

Pinkbell123 Sat 22-Feb-14 04:56:58

I didn't have a Caesarian but a bad third degree test requiring theatre work with a block so I was numb from the waist down. I didn't get any skin to skin after the birth as was rushed away but he had it with dh

Feeding wise I was laid flat after and was numb so couldn't positions self but the midwives were great and helped him to latch on twice in the first few hours I was out. I'm sure they are used to helping c section babies.

Hopefully more c section mums will be along soon

Pinkbell123 Sat 22-Feb-14 04:57:17

Tear not test!

TreesDogsBooks Sat 22-Feb-14 07:53:53

I had an EMCS and the nurses helped a lot. They would put DD on for me but I was mostly able to sit up myself despite it being sore. You will be surprised at how quickly you will recover. I managed to bf for 18 months- hope that's reassuring. smile

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 22-Feb-14 08:03:12

I didn't have a section but had a complicated delivery with dc1 which resulted in us being separated for over 12 hours, so we didn't get any immediate skin-to-skin time. I successfully breastfed her for 16 months though, so just wanted to reassure you that even if you don't get that immediate contact, you can still breastfeed successfully.

For dc2 I had forceps and lots of stitching afterwards, so I was pretty much flat on my back as you would be after a section. The midwives and dh placed ds on me and helped position him to latch on. It was fine.

Both times there was also a lot of help available on the postnatal ward from midwives and assistants. smile

Good luck! thanks

clarinsgirl Sat 22-Feb-14 08:08:49

I've had 2 c-sections, both DS arrived screaming for milk and fed whilst I was being stitched up. MW helped to get them in the right position and I held them. Its perfectly possible to b/f whilst lying flat.

Cheerymum Sat 22-Feb-14 08:13:58

Just get them put the baby on your chest, that's it!
I had twins by C section and just got them to put them there.
Lovely distraction from the rest of the op.
They took them away and gave them a wash after a bit, and my husband and I alternated a bit (get him to put on slightly too-big scrubs and leave a T shirt underneath) if you want to do that). Then once they'd finished with me, I was sat up a bit in the trolley and off we went with the two skin to skin babies.

Cheerymum Sat 22-Feb-14 08:16:34

Make sure you discuss it with the midwives as you go into theatre.

fertilityFTW Sat 22-Feb-14 08:18:12

A MW goes is with you and I asked her if it would be possible to have sin to skin immediately and she said of course. She put the gown on backward so I could expose my chest beforehand. Brought baby straight to me once she came out, DH helped hold her there for a while, then he went with baby and MW to the side where they cleaned and weighed her (I could still hear them, though had to crane my neck to see). Once stitched I was wheeled into recovery and baby was back on my boob for cuddles and that's where she stayed smile They even tucked her into the bed with me for the night because I asked even though there was a cot nearby. I was able to pick her up and place her onto my chest at intervals through the night.

Jcb77 Sat 22-Feb-14 18:51:57

Hi. Not had a section myself but have anaesthetised for hundreds. You are flat on your back for the section pretty much (might be able to sit the back of the bed up a little) but can usually have LO on your chest. In recovery we usually pad plenty of pillows around mum and put the back of the bed up to about 45 degrees so you can feed. There's no specific reason why you shouldn't have skin to skin or breast feed but a couple of things it might help you to be aware of. Some women can get quite shaky with the anaesthetic. It does wear off, but you might not feel entirely comfy holding LO with the shakes. The drapes (to keep the operating field sterile) rise up vertically from about nipple level. Some ladies can feel a bit claustrophobic esp if they're not prepared for them. If you want skin to skin ASAP, say so at the start and everything that can be done to make it easier (arms out of your gown, extra pillow, etc) will be. Remember though, that you and babe are having a major event, and you have to both be safe - obviously that has to be the prime concern. Sometimes a bit of breathing support is needed for LO or a bit of sicky support for you means it doesn't happen right away. Just be prepared to play it by ear on the day but let people (anaesthetist, midwife) know what you'd like if poss. If you're a straight forward elective section then it shouldn't be much of a problem at all. Good luck!

Isbit Sat 22-Feb-14 21:41:36

Hello, I had a planned section a month ago, no skin to skin in theatre as they said main concern is baby getting cold but she was given to me straight away wrapped in a towel to hold and it was lovely. Really didn't feel like I missed anything. Happily no complications so we were straight out to recovery and once there midwife helped put her on my chest and she latched on straight away with no issues. Because you can't get up the first night, you have to buzz to ask the midwives to pass you the baby, but they will be very helpful and want to support you in feeding. I had no problems sitting up to feed or anything, you can just adjust the bed up and down. If it's a planned section, I actually think it might be easier to get feeding established than if you had an exhausting labour. All the best with it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now