Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Washing baby clothes?

(13 Posts)
Hellymummy Fri 21-Feb-14 20:30:00

Just wondered what other people do with their newly purchased baby clothes! Do you wash them all through first or put them on from new? I have bought tons and tons of stuff for my new little man but the thought of washing it all is not boding well!!!!

lucy101 Fri 21-Feb-14 20:31:38

Yes you should wash everything as they are often treated with fungicides and other chemicals.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 21-Feb-14 20:32:30

Its lovely washing them!

Mummyk1982 Fri 21-Feb-14 20:50:39

I've done about six loads over the last few weeks- clothes, bedding, muslins, comforters, curtains, Moses basket lining, scratch mits, hats, grobags, swaddle blankets- you name it, it's been washed in fairy non bio! Have a few soft toys as well- they're next to get the treatment!

Jolleigh Fri 21-Feb-14 20:58:25

I'm washing it all...simply because you never know who's had their hands on them, and whether said hands were washed after they last went to the loo! You've got the people making the fabric, packing the fabric, making the garment, transporting the garment, stocking the shelves and any browsing customers. I'd love to think everyone's hygiene levels are as high as my own but that's a lot of people to trust!

On the plus side, baby clothes are teeny and are great if you have a little room left in the washing machine after putting your own clothes in.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 21-Feb-14 21:07:27

There is nothing better than a nice pile of gorgeous smelling, soft, newly washed baby items!

Aaliyah1 Fri 21-Feb-14 22:00:04

Are you guys using softener too? Washing it on a cold wash? I don't know if I can just wash them the same way or if I need to do something special.

starfishmummy Fri 21-Feb-14 22:13:52

I washed the ones I bought in advance. Then ds was small, we were in hospital for a week (for me) and people had to go and get us smaller stuff - that didn't get washed, and there were no ill effects.

Jolleigh Fri 21-Feb-14 23:11:41

Yep, using softener. It smells nice grin

Mim78 Sat 22-Feb-14 15:08:16

I washed it all. Was fun. Dd helped me put it all away in nice piles.

I don't use softener because I hate the smell but that is up to you!

FlossieTreadlight Sat 22-Feb-14 15:13:35

Do wash them (in non-bio stuff) but don't do what I did and carefully and precisely do up all the poppers on everything afterwards so it looked neat in the drawer... How I enjoyed learning how to change a nappy/deal with explosive poos etc etc and then realise I had to un-popper everything before I could get it on wailing DD who hated being undressed smile

mousmous Sat 22-Feb-14 15:17:53

yes.
they are treated with anti mould stuff an pesticides and handled by many many people.

just wash a first few things, so you can return stuff in case it doesn't fit.

neversleepagain Sat 22-Feb-14 16:20:40

The store rooms they are kept in are not clean and some even have mice. Clothes are shipped in containers all over the world and are sprayed with chemicals to keep bugs away. I still wash everything before putting on my children and they are 17 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now