Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Making sense of ultrasound paperwork??

(5 Posts)
Barbsta Fri 21-Feb-14 18:59:56

Beside the length of certain parts and weight there is something that looks like this |-------+------| with a dot in different places by each one. What is it ? I'm guessing its possibly showing if you if the length/weight is high or low? Is the left showing under and the right showing higher? Lower being underweight or short in length and vice versa? Just been wondering

VivaLeBeaver Fri 21-Feb-14 19:10:30

At a guess I would say its a centile chart. Though its laid out differently to the ones where I work so not 100%.

But if I'm right the + in the middle will be the 50th centile, so the average. However been to the left of that doesn't mean underweight or short at all. You'd expect 49% of babies to be below the average. Ok, that might not be quite right statistically but certainly a good number below.

One reading for each measurement on its own isnt that meaningful. Its if you end up having other scans and growth is plotted that it becomes more meaningful.

Barbsta Fri 21-Feb-14 21:37:36

I know that whatever side the measurements fell under it was healthy or something would have been said but I wasn't sure if it started low then went to high. It sounds like what I thought it was is what it is smile thanks

BEEwitched Fri 21-Feb-14 22:41:40

Yep, my 20 week measurements are like that, as was my private nuchal scan paperwork.

E.g. with my baby the biparietal diameter is slightly over the median (stupid fat-headed genes), the abdominal circumerence is slightly below the median and the other measurements are spot on. It was never commented on or mentioned so I assume it's within normal parameters!

Barbsta Fri 21-Feb-14 22:51:32

The reason I wanted to know is because my husbands head was quite big when he was born and this had me worried lol my babies head is on the lower end though so I'm happy smile healthy and not too big of a head

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now