Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

asprin at 13 weeks

(7 Posts)
nc060 Fri 21-Feb-14 17:14:27

I asked dh to buy me some paracetamol and thinking he was being nice instead of buying cheap tesco own tablet got anadin asprin...the leaflet only says not to take if in the late stages of pregnancy, do you think this would be ok?

Bornin1984 Fri 21-Feb-14 17:15:25

I wouldn't personally! There's so Many things u can't take in pregnancy :-(

squizita Fri 21-Feb-14 17:17:59

It thins the blood - I'm prescribed it for a clotting condition - so don't take it unless you have a diagnosed blood condition.

ilovepowerhoop Fri 21-Feb-14 17:20:28

nhs says:

Paracetamol is the first choice of painkiller if you are pregnant.
Do not take aspirin for pain if you’re pregnant. In particular, you shouldn’t take aspirin at a painkiller dose (300mg - 900mg) in the last 13 weeks of pregnancy because of the risk of heart problems and jaundice in the baby. There is also a greater risk of you getting severe bleeding in labour.

However, a doctor may prescribe low dose aspirin (usually 75mg a day) to prevent pre-eclampsia (pregnancy induced hypertension) if you are at risk of this condition. Pre-eclampsia (pregnancy induced hypertension) is a serious condition in pregnancy causing very high blood pressure and fits. Do not take low dose aspirin unless advised to by a doctor.

nc060 Fri 21-Feb-14 17:32:31

Thanks Guys - I will subtly get to the shops while away this weekend for some paracetamol so as not to make him feel bad - after all he thought he was being nice! Getting awful headaches at the minute! x

weebigmamma Fri 21-Feb-14 19:41:13

Be sure to get checked out by the doc/midwife with those headaches. They can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. x

x0gawjus0x Sat 22-Feb-14 08:43:58

It won't be pre-e at 13 wks, I've been on aspirin since my bp went up since 20 weeks but its only 75mg defo don't take it can cause premature closure of heart vessels at pain killer doses x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now