Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I've got the hunger - any healthy snack ideas??

(15 Posts)
swampusdonkus Fri 21-Feb-14 14:41:35

Hi all, I am currently 25+6 and although I am not hungry all of the time, I get absolutely famished in-between meals and it is an insatiable need! This is particularly bad at around 4am, when I get up for a pre-breakfast snack - usually cereal. I went through a few weeks of shovelling utter crap into my mouth in the form of donuts, biscuits etc but as my thighs started to significantly increasing in girth I have tried to restrict high calorie snacks. I eat quite a lot of fruit but this doesn't fill me up and can contain a lot of sugars too.

So I am looking for some healthy but tasty snack suggestions. Can anyone recommend anything that was filling but not bland? Tia.

Bb14 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:39:56

Although you feel like sweet things fill you up it's really protein and slow release carbs that keep you full. So a sarnie with wholemeal bread filled with chicken, tuna or cheese will help you to fill up.

flymo79 Fri 21-Feb-14 16:14:40

also dairy protein (so full fat plain yoghurt) - I have found that adding a couple of spoonfulls of plain yog to my cereal in the morning fills me up a bit more (and helps me to get more dairy into my diet). I also snack on plain yog and fruit or dried fruit and nuts. I don't trust those sugary yoghurts now!! oatcakes are also my friend, with peanut butter, or cheese as a filling snack.

Miriama Fri 21-Feb-14 17:06:58

Wholemeal toast, low fat cream cheese and sliced tomatoes is my current favourite snack!

swampusdonkus Fri 21-Feb-14 18:23:32

Wholemeal chicken sandwich and wholemeal toast with cream cheese sound good - thank you. Yum.

highlove Fri 21-Feb-14 18:28:28

My 4am snack is a glass of milk - sea to fill me up and maybe helps me get back to sleep. Plus it gets more calcium into me. If you're starving you could whizz up a banana into it before bed and have it ready in the fridge for you.

Rootvegetables Fri 21-Feb-14 19:31:08

I'm very into malt loaf for a quick snack, even nicer if you can stand and toast and butter it!

Purplelooby Fri 21-Feb-14 19:32:37

Houmous and wraps. mmmmm.

Purplelooby Fri 21-Feb-14 19:32:49

Oh and dried apple rings.

Secondtimesally Fri 21-Feb-14 20:43:50

I have discovered peanut butter - on rice cakes or oat cakes. Also add a layer of Philadelphia so it's not too dry.

In my first pregnancy and early post natal days it was Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes. I still crave them! Full of sugar though so have avoided so far this time...

Babybearess Sat 22-Feb-14 17:53:50

Peanut butter on wholemeal or seeded bread is my current favourite in between meal snack. Or a probiotic yogurt, they are quite filling. Snack a jacks rice crackers in packets are good for your bag or to take to work. I'm a teacher and I these in the five mins between classes to keep me going. They have sweet and savoury flavours too.

livingzuid Sat 22-Feb-14 17:55:30

Pink lady apples. And tomato mozzarella and balsamic vinegar seems to be an addiction right now.

squizita Sat 22-Feb-14 17:56:55

Instant tubs of porridge are very filling and oats are healthy. You can add dry fruit too if like me youre pooping gravel.

frannie2013 Sat 22-Feb-14 20:48:50

I mix 0% yoghurt with a couple of teaspoons of pesto (what ever flavour I fancy or has been on offer) and then use celery or chopped up carrots or cucumber as dipping utensils. not an ideal snack at 4 am perhaps though! good for infront of the tv at night. if i want to be 'naughty' i use mini-pretzels instead, as they are low in fat and better than crisps i think... clearly i'd prefer ice cream, chocolate and haribo but sometimes i resist. adding some mint chocolate to fruit and 0% yoghurt can make it a bit more of a treat too.
good luck!! i'm finding it really hard too as despite feeling sick lots i am still 'starving'...! trying to walk more and swim a bit but its not easy!

swampusdonkus Sun 23-Feb-14 08:31:26

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have just polished off some garlic phili on crackerbread, yum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now