Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

midwife

(17 Posts)
babymadtammy17 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:50:25

Heya guys I'm new to this so any help is really appreciated, I'm 9 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Thing is I have my first midwife apt on tuesday and I've no idea what to expect or if I have to take anything with me ect, can I take my mum and partner or just one?. I'm in scotland if that helps. Thanks

Banana82 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:02:09

Hi babymad and congratulations on your pregnancy!

I had my booking in at 10 weeks and it was about an hour long with the midwife asking lots of questions about my health and my partners health, any previous pregnancies, health issues etc. which they use to fill out your green notes. This was followed by a blood test and urine test, blood pressure, height and weight. I went by myself as have been told by friends its a fairly mundane appointment, although I was excited for it! My partner wasn't needed for it.

MummyPig24 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:02:47

I don't think there is rules about who you can take. I've taken my dh and both dcs before. Usually I go alone though.

You need to take a urine sample in a sterile container but that's it.

Basically it's a paperwork appointment. Loads of questions about medical history and your health. She will take blood and check your blood pressure and weigh you. I think that's about all though.

MummyPig24 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:03:04

And of course, congratulations!

babymadtammy17 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:40:27

Aww thanks guys really helped me out! I'm rather nervous and keep asking myself such random questions, this site has helped a lot x

Writerwannabe83 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:34:11

The first appointment although exciting because it makes things seem more 'real' is actually pretty mundane. All it is about is giving you your maternity notes and getting a general overview of her health via questions and BP/weight recordings. My husband came with me but in hindsight there was little point as apart from giving his name and occupation he didn't really play a part and didn't need to be there. I go to all my midwife appointments alone now.

Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

LePetitPont Fri 21-Feb-14 15:05:08

Congratulations! I had my first midwife appointment at 7 weeks, top tip - it goes on for a while. I was expecting 10 mins in and out!

Other surprising bit was being asked to choose where I wanted to give birth so she knew which hospital to refer me to for scans. So maybe have that in the back of your mind.

weebigmamma Fri 21-Feb-14 15:18:50

I took my husband with me to the booking in appt. I was glad he was there because he had some Q's too. But there was a section that I had to do alone with the midwife because they have to ask about domestic abuse, which is fair enough.

babymadtammy17 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:49:53

Brilliant, see my partner really wants to be a part of everything and reckons its important for him to come to apointments and get any advice ect that's going. Also I'm only 17 so this is also a bit scary for me as much as I am excited, My partners 26 so he's at an age wherre he's ready for kids. I'm ready just have lots of worries of course and lots of questions as were both new to it all. Does everyone get taken aside in first apointments to ask about domestic abuse? [Smile] yous are all a really big help thanks!!

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 21-Feb-14 15:53:17

You don't have a worry about abuse do you? sad

But if you just mean generally, yes they will try and talk to you then or soon after. Sadly a lot of domestic abuse starts in pregnancy so they are particularly aware.

weebigmamma Fri 21-Feb-14 15:55:23

I hope everyone gets asked about it. Maybe it's just guidelines where I'm from, but it's really important and a great opportunity for any woman who doesn't know where to turn to get some help at a very vulnerable time.

Best of luck to you! :-) You'll be fine. A friend of mine who had her baby when we were both 16 is now a granny at 39 and she's just had her 3rd baby as well. It's lovely because the two little ones will grow up together and she has a great relationship with her first child. And she's still with the same partner as when she was 16, so don't let anyone tell you it can't be done :-)

babymadtammy17 Fri 21-Feb-14 16:05:42

No not with Brian (my partner) its just a picky topic for me from when I was younger. Of course its a good thing that they ask and can give help just something I get uncomfortable talking about. Yeah pleanty of young people have children and make damn good mums and I believe in myself that I can to especialy with Brian and both our familys behind us. Thanks again guys x

weebigmamma Fri 21-Feb-14 16:35:05

:-)

Don't worry, they won't press you about abuse. They just give you an opportunity to say if it's a problem and if it isn't they'll move on pretty swiftly.

One thing I would say for me personally is that with this pregnancy I was honest about my struggled with depression in the past because I wasn't honest about it with my first baby and I wish I had been. I had this idea that they'd take her away from me if I had post-natal depression and so I suffered with it for ages instead of telling the truth and getting a bit of help. This time round I was honest about it because it's quite common and help is available.

Mummytobe2014 Fri 21-Feb-14 16:44:52

I took my mum because dp was working and quite glad i did as she answered alot of questions about family illness etc which i didnt know about. I wld have taken my dp or gone alone though either one was fine.
I dnt recall being asked about abuse but i was in there for a long time answering alot of questions!! smile

Justpenny Fri 21-Feb-14 19:31:48

Congratulations!! I didnt get asked about abuse but I did get asked whether or not I got enough support at home....I said no because dp always moans when I ask for a brew smile the midwife did not see the funny side!! Haha! Like everyone's said its pretty mundane stuff, I still found it all really exciting tho!! xx

MummyPig24 Fri 21-Feb-14 19:34:01

I can't remember being asked about domestic abuse but then it's a long appointment and lots of questions! My husband didn't come with me this time.

I had my first baby at 19 so I can see why you are a little nervous but you'll be great :-)

babymadtammy17 Sun 23-Feb-14 14:50:24

Thanks everyone! I will keep yous posted on how tuesday goes. I'm not as nervous about it now I'm rather excited. Yous have all helped a lot and made me realise its nothing to worry about. Brians really excited about this too although having former mums to talk to helps more than he does as he knows no more than me haha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now