Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reduced hours at work?

(17 Posts)
somedizzywhore1804 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:49:54

Hi all

Am 21 weeks and since week 8 have been off with hyperemesis apart from two weeks back after Christmas (I'm a teacher).

Not as sick as I have been but still on and off, sick and feeling like shit and found out I have nerve damage in my face from sickness (under care of a neurologist).

I've tried to organise some kind of reduced hours/different duties with school as GP suggested it but school being quite unhelpful about it and HOD suggested I just get signed off again. She's quite lazy and I think it might be easier for her to have a cover teacher in rather than deal with me.

Not sure what to do. I'm signed off til Tuesday. Tempted to just get myself signed off again and save myself the energy of trying to coordinate a return at the moment.

Any advice or experience?

Rockchick1984 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:29:29

GP can do you a fit note to recommend reduced hours but your employer can say that it can't be accommodated and that would mean you remain signed off. How long do you get full sick pay for, and would that need to be a consideration for when / if you return to work?

If you have been feeling slightly better then would a phased return work better rather than altered duties? That may also be easier for the school to accommodate?

somedizzywhore1804 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:38:30

I get six months full pay so that's not an issue as I did return to work (albeit briefly) after Christmas and my maternity starts end of May.

I mentioned a phased return in my communications but am getting nowhere with speaking to my HOD and my line manager is constantly unavailable. It's taking up my much needed energy just to try and speak to anyone at the moment!!

Lottiedoubtie Fri 21-Feb-14 12:41:02

No help but plenty of empathy here.

I'm also a teacher and been off for the three weeks before HT with pregnancy sickness. I have a GPs appt today but not sure what to say as I sometimes feel marginally better, and could work a bit, but I know a full on timetable will wipe me out again very quickly.

Teaching is very all or nothing. sad

somedizzywhore1804 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:47:11

Yes Lottie that's exactly the problem. When I returned after Xmas it wasn't the sickness that flawed me it was trying to work at the pace teaching requires.... I ended up with tonsillitis, a UTI and and ear infection and was soon readmitted to hospital.

I'm just wary of the same thing happening again hmm

Lottiedoubtie Fri 21-Feb-14 13:24:48

Rubbish isn't it!

Writerwannabe83 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:39:12

I was constantly being signed off sick from 8 weeks onwards. I'd make it back to work a few days and then be off again, it got really complicated and difficult. I haven't been to work since I was 14 weeks pregnant and am now 35 weeks!!! I was just signed off permanently because I was having problem after problem and due to the worsening of a chronic condition I have it was decided I was best off just being at home.

What are you thoughts? Do you want to be signed off permanently?

squizita Fri 21-Feb-14 14:44:03

I'm a manager in a school and I'm sorry to hear yours are so useless. As others have said, it's far better for you and the kids if something sustainable is worked out, rather than relying on on-off cover staff. That's just horrible, unsupportive and also not in the best interests of learning/quality supervision.

If they mess you around any more seek union advice.

Lottiedoubtie Fri 21-Feb-14 17:11:58

Back from the GPs and been signed off for another week. I know it's the right decision but I'm still working up the courage to email my HoD to let him know...

somedizzywhore1804 Sat 22-Feb-14 09:34:39

In an ideal world id love to go back to work but feeling like this, no I don't. I'm second in a large department and it's hard work and relentless and currently I don't have the required energy for it.

I feel guilty though, especially on the days when I feel a bit better.

crashbangboom Sat 22-Feb-14 09:41:30

Will being off sick affect your SMP rate?

OrangeMochaFrappucino Sat 22-Feb-14 09:45:48

Ime teaching is one of those jobs where no accommodations get made. You have to be 'on' all the time. Tiredness makes the sickness worse and it's impossible to avoid. I have been off sporadically throughout this pregnancy and have decided to take mymat leave at 34 weeks as I am stuck in a cycle now where I go in, get ill and have to be off , get better and am then floored by my first day back. I get home from work aching all over and crying with exhaustion. But there is nowhere to shift the workload - the only concession it has been possible to get is that I have been taken off break duty. If you are having a difficult pregnancy, I don't think teaching is manageable so in your position I would continue to be signed off - I have never been in such bad health as I am at 31 weeks into a tough pregnancy and I'm doubting my ability to recover enough to cope with newborn plus toddler!

Have also found it immensely stressful being responsible for setting cover whilst off so if they are putting in long term supply for you, that takes some pressure off - being off periodically means tons more stress in terms of setting work and catching up on your return. Focus on your health and the baby's wellbeing flowers.

somedizzywhore1804 Sat 22-Feb-14 09:54:49

Not as far as I know Crash. How would I find that out?

OrangeMochaFrappucino Sat 22-Feb-14 09:59:40

You need to be paid at your full salary during the qualifying weeks to get smp. Qualifying weeks are some time in second trimester. You will be on full pay whilst off sick so your maternity pay shouldn't be affected.

somedizzywhore1804 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:07:44

Thanks jellyandcake that's what I thought. Even if I don't go back before maternity I will be on full pay.

vj32 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:08:43

I took mat leave at 29 weeks last pregnancy as I was teaching and just couldn't cope with the workload. The stress was making several pregnancy related conditions worse. Within a few weeks of stopping work I felt significantly better because I didn't have the worry of trying to justify myself to work and the feeling that I wasn't doing well enough for the students because of sickness.

My experience has been that HR in schools is very poor, so I wouldn't expect them to help or even know what you are entitled to.

Just decide what you need to do best for you and your baby.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Sat 22-Feb-14 10:12:03

I have been so grateful for the very fair t&c during this pregnancy. I can't imagine what it's like for people who have to cope with losing pay on top of dealing with pregnancy-related illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now