Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

scan alone?

(19 Posts)
frannie2013 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:25:15

HI
Has anyone had to go to their 12 week scan alone? i am as OH has had to go overseas at short notice for a family emergency which i fully understand (it's all fine now, he just isn;t coming back till sunday because of flights etc) just wondering if anyone had any top tips?

i'm dreading it anyway - and a little excited - as i'm quite old and should have it confirmed that bump is ok etc. on MOnday / tuesday i was much more relaxed about it but as it is looming - in 2 hours! - i'm getting more and more nervous (which is not helping morning sickness!!)

so to plan - i've got the full day off and so (assuming it is all ok) i'm planning on treating myself to a nice lunch after and a wander round some shops and a gallery and will facetime him later and go swimming - basically want to keep busy!!

any positive thoughts?!

DinoSnores Fri 21-Feb-14 09:34:17

Bit late now but I would have asked a friend to come, even if you asked them to sit outside rather than be in for the scan. Most of these scans are completely fine, but I've had bad news and was so glad that my DH was there, even just to drive me home because I wouldn't have managed.

Do come and report back your good news when you are done! Sounds like you have a lovely day planned!

HelenHen Fri 21-Feb-14 10:10:09

I went on my own... Dh couldn't get time off! I felt a bit of a loser waiting on my own but it was still lovely! I've been to three since on my own and I'm an old hand now lol, I wouldn't want anyone with me except dh! Hope everything goes well and just enjoy it smile

smorticus Fri 21-Feb-14 10:12:07

You'll be fine! I went on my own and it was lovely. Bit of lunch and shopping afterwards sounds great. Let us know how you get on

frannie2013 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:14:50

Thanks all! I had considered asking someone else but no one else knows yet... just heading off now... i think it is that 'loser' feeling i'm dreading!!!

squizita Fri 21-Feb-14 10:33:32

Good luck.

I've been to numerous scans alone (I have a LOT because of previous losses) and they really aren't so scary once you're in there (even to me). smile

KiwiBanana Fri 21-Feb-14 13:16:18

I had to go to 12 week scan alone as DP had a last minute very important meeting. The only thing that worried me was if something was wrong with baby how I would feel being alone and finding out. Everything was fine anyway and the sonographer was lovely and comforting.

You'll have had yours by now so I hope it's gone well for you.

MrsBungle Fri 21-Feb-14 13:18:33

Hope you got on ok. I went to both 12 week scans alone - one was because I was already in hospital with hg and they decided to check baby was ok at 7am so dh wasn't there! The second time dh was away with work - it was absolutely fine smile x

riksti Fri 21-Feb-14 13:20:40

I went to the anomaly scan (20-wk scan) alone. It was OK. And the subsequent growth scans I've done alone as well. I didn't really have a choice since my husband can't take time off easily. But it is the second baby for us so I'm possibly a bit less anxious since I already know how it all works and there's less of the 'unknown'.

CrispyFB Fri 21-Feb-14 13:21:29

Since we had DC1, I've been to most scans alone, and all of them this last pregnancy (and there have been quite a few!) DH needs to look after the other children so it just isn't an option.

Quite a few women do go on their own, it's not a loser thing to do at all.

It can be stressful if you get bad news (been there..) but for me personally I find it easier to get bad news without DH there, goodness knows why. I realise I'm probably a bit weird like that though!

JugglingChaotically Fri 21-Feb-14 13:29:23

DH did come to initial ones with DC1&2. Had had some problems on the way (inc ectopic) so was helpful to have him there.
Did all others on my own (had 4 scans for each I think poss 5). He didn't make it to any for DC3.
Staff were all lovely. And it was fine.

JugglingChaotically Fri 21-Feb-14 13:30:28

Also I would say around half were there on there own.

Shellywelly1973 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:39:33

With my last baby I went to my 12 week scan by myself as Exdp didn't get out of bed.

I was terrified as I'd had a MMC 5 months earlier.

There were other women on their own.

Every thing was fine at my scan...Baby is 18 days old!

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

HelenHen Fri 21-Feb-14 14:15:33

Oh no it's not a loser thing, I just felt a bit like one! The first time, everyone seemed to have 3 or 4 people with them making a fuss over them and I was having a hormonal day! Since then though I've noticed plenty of women on their own and I've forgotten it was once a big deal that I was alone grin dc2 here too though!

frannie2013 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:35:56

thanks!!! all is fine!!!
i was worried that something would be wrong then what i'd do... but it was much better than i thought it would be - i had pictured a room full of loads of couples and saddo me but there was only a couple of other people, some with someone else and some not, and i had to go to one place then the other so didn't really have time to think about it in the end.

having a peaceful lunch whilst waiting for the blood tests was nice.

it was a real shame that OH didn't get to see it wriggling round and things but he's promised to be there for the 20 week scan so...i've spoken to him and sent him a pic of the scan. now feel shattered and think i need a cup of tea and a nap!!!
thank you all. x

impatienttobemummy Fri 21-Feb-14 15:39:45

I went to all of DS2s scans alone they were all in middle of the day meaning DH would have to take whole day off unpaid.

midwifeandmum Fri 21-Feb-14 15:48:41

I went on my own for all my scans with dd1 as hubby had to work

We dont mind if you come on your own or with someone, as ling as mum and baby are healthy.

I see alot of women coming along on their own. As a pp said though you can take a family member or friend along and they can sit outside or come in with you

Best of luck

Olivegirl Fri 21-Feb-14 15:59:48

I went on my own for dd1
And dh came with me for dd2

Didn't mind either way ..my focus was on everything being ok smile

weesazz Fri 21-Feb-14 16:53:25

I went to my 12 week scan alone as DH was working offshore, it was fine, and he managed to come to the 20 week scan xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now