Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it worth getting a TENS machine for second labour?

(12 Posts)
jen2014 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:46:47

Title says it all really, I didn't hire one for my first labour and kind of regret it as it was a 21hr slog. But almost everything I've read suggests second labour will be much, much quicker. (2.5 yrs later) Is it worth hiring a TENS machine this time round?
I'm hoping not to have the long first stage again and I then want to labour/ deliver in the birthing pool where (I'm assuming?!) TENS machines aren't allowed...?
I know it's a bit of a 'crystal ball' question but any advice appreciated

Fairypants Thu 20-Feb-14 22:48:31

I hired one for both my labours and am glad I did. I only used it for about 5 hours the second time round but that's 5 hours I benefitted from it. It will depend on how well you get on with it I guess which you can't know in advance.
Sorry I'm not much help.

Pudtat Thu 20-Feb-14 22:51:30

Only have one dc but was able to hire one from my mlu for £15. Was really helpful overnight as things got going and then just took it off when decided it was time to get in the pool.

MummytoMog Thu 20-Feb-14 23:24:44

Yes, it was so amazing that I never bothered with the pool. I actually thought my contractions had stored at point so I turned it off. OW OW OW. I bought one second hand then sold it on with new pads. Basically cost the price of the pads, so £12 I think for two sets (one for me, one to sell).

MummytoMog Thu 20-Feb-14 23:24:57

Stopped, not stored.

TheRaniOfYawn Thu 20-Feb-14 23:27:20

I didn't really use one in either of my labours but it came in really handy for the hideously painful afterpains after DC2 was born.

PleaseBonkMeMoreGently Fri 21-Feb-14 08:49:31

Yes, definitely get one, it was brilliant for all the early labour - the 5 hours or so it took. It might have been good for stage 2 too, but the gas and air made me too tiddly to notice it had got unplugged.

DinoSnores Fri 21-Feb-14 09:36:16

i never, never believed that it would work, but it was amazing. It really distracted me and has got me through a lot of labour!

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 21-Feb-14 09:41:31

I had one for my second and third labour. I did hire one for my first but had EMCS so couldn't use it.

You need to put it on as soon as you start in labour as it can take 45 minutes for the endorphins to kick in. If you want to get in the bath/shower it is worth using the TENS for the 45 minutes first then take it off. Definitely not for use in the water grin.

My second labour (3rd baby) was approximately half the time of the first but there wasn't a lot in it in the pushing stage. 20 minutes first time, then 7 the second.

Worse case it does nothing at all and you have wasted a few pounds. Best case it really helps. I would give it a go and if I was to have another baby I would definitely hire one again. I actually bought my second one as planned more babies after that one but it wasn't to be.

One last point - don't allow your DH to have control of the dial unless he knows what he is doing. I think there is still the shape of me to be peeled off the ceiling...

jen2014 Sat 22-Feb-14 14:15:43

Thanks for all the advice, you've convinced me! As you say even if it only helps a bit... Will see if I can hire one from midwives and then have a practise so I'm not relying on DH to operate it! ;)

whiteblossom Sat 22-Feb-14 15:05:52

Am I the only one who used it and hated it? It drove me nuts, I told my dh to get it off me it was bugging me more than labour!

duvetfan Sun 23-Feb-14 12:58:17

I loved it but I had a really fast labour and had to keep myself distracted. I think its the distraction part that worked for me, not necessarily as pain relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now