Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Labour

(9 Posts)
longleggedlady Thu 20-Feb-14 18:32:02

Now I'm having a mild panic about labour after reading a 'helpful' leaflet from Homerton hospital in London. I get the waters breaking and mucous plug and show stuff however his do you know when to go to hospital?? Who do you phone? Do you phone ahead and tell them you are coming? Very confused.

mrsmugoo Thu 20-Feb-14 18:48:07

How many weeks are you?

Around 35 weeks you should be offered NHS antenatal classes and they will explain everything to you and give you the number to call and also lots of hospitals offer tours too.

Mumof3xx Thu 20-Feb-14 18:49:30

You phone the labour ward

They usually get you in when your contractions are regular and a few mins apart

They do tend to like to speak to you not your oh etc which always pisses me off

longleggedlady Thu 20-Feb-14 18:53:12

Thanks. I'm 22 weeks and feel a bit in limbo...great to come in here and chat though. X

Mumof3xx Thu 20-Feb-14 18:54:24

You should get offered tours of your hospital if not then ask your midwife! It's her job to make sure you know what your doing!

Mumof3xx Thu 20-Feb-14 18:55:40

Oh and your waters may not break, and you may not get a show! Don't wait for these if you are having regular contractions a few mins Apart then phone up

I have had 3 dc. Never had a show and always had waters broken for me!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 20-Feb-14 18:57:10

We were told contractions lasting a minute and 3 in 10 mins. However you can phone whenever you want if you think you are in labour and the labour ward will advise you what to do

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 20-Feb-14 18:57:45

You ring the labour ward when your contractions are regular and a few minutes between each one.
My midwife said only ring and go in once contractions are strong enough or requiring enough of your concentration that you would need to be breathing through them other than chatting on phone to midwife when you are in the middle of one!

juju283 Fri 21-Feb-14 01:46:53

At least three contractions in ten minutes and you must phone them as if they have lots of Labour's they will close due to lack of staff. Also let them know if waters break but no contractions as they will need to see you to induce as you. But you can always ring when you start contractions and they will tell you what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now