Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Quick labour - would you choose homebirth or risk getting to hospital in time?

(5 Posts)
thecakeisalie Thu 20-Feb-14 14:20:10

I'm currently going through the process of deciding if I definitely want a home birth this time for dc3. One of the issues the supervisor of midwives raised was my previous quick labour.

I had a quick active stage last time 3cm-10cm in 1hr 30mins and 3 mins of pushing.

We are a 45min drive from the hospital but the community midwives could take 45-60mins to get to me for a HB.

What would you risk getting caught out in the car on the way to hospital or needing to call an ambulance risking an unassisted birth at home?

This decision would be so much easier if we lived nearer the hospital!

Rockchick1984 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:40:11

Definitely home birth, with a view to calling an ambulance if needed!

McBaby Thu 20-Feb-14 15:32:01

I had lass than 1hr 3-10cm and 30 mins of pushing. I am booking in for a home birth as you always have the option of the hospital or ambulance if needed but there is no way I will be going near a car if I think baby time is close and I only have a 10 minute drive. The car or car park don't seem like good birth plan to me!

neolara Thu 20-Feb-14 15:36:37

Homebirth and I would get the midwives to talk your dh and you through what to do if you have to diy. Call for back up at the first twinge. Call an ambulance if you think the midwife won't make it. They will talk you / your dh through what to do if necessary.

(DC3's birth was 30 mins from 1st twinge to her arrival. She was delivered by my dh at home.)

thecakeisalie Thu 20-Feb-14 16:08:44

Glad its not just me that thinks even with the time it'll take midwives to get here and the transfer time its still the safer option.

Good idea neolara about getting an idea what we do in the event of being on our own.

Everyone keeps mentioning 3rd babies being tricky and unpredictable, its making me doubt myself on the home birth decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now