Talk

Advanced search

are ketones in urine a problem?

(4 Posts)
Armadale Thu 20-Feb-14 13:44:30

I am 16 weeks PG. I test my urine every few days with a combi strip as I have a history of pylonephritis from uti's and need to be careful about getting them in PG.

The two things I am supposed to check are clear are Leucocytes and nitrates. They are both clear. However ketones is +2, (goes from 0 to +3)

Does anyone know what this means and if it is something I need to keep an eye one? (I have googled but it seems to talk mostly about type 1 diabetes, which I don't have) TIA

x0gawjus0x Thu 20-Feb-14 13:59:46

I had +2 ketones today, the midwife told me It means I haven't eaten/drank enough today, nothing to worry about just keep havin healthy snacks and lots of water smile x

Armadale Thu 20-Feb-14 14:04:30

Oh thanks, I'm afraid I don't think its lack of breakfast today blush but I definitely need to drink more, so I'll get onto that!

SweetTeaVodka Thu 20-Feb-14 16:48:32

Ketones are present when your body is having to break down fat stores for energy due to not having eaten or drunk enough. I had hyperemesis and it was one of the things I kept an eye on to help me determine if my vomiting was severe enough to require IVI (puking everything got so normal I lost all perspective! ).

As long as they go down/away once you've eaten and drunk more it should be alright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now