Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

4d scan - I'm being irrational.

(39 Posts)
LucyB1 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:39:03

Hi, my dh wants to get a 3d scan of out baby at 28 weeks. I really dont know why but i have gone all irrational about it. I dont really want it and its made my cry. I dont know why. Im not even sure why i dont want it! Not sure i want to know what my baby looks like yet.

He said it will be good to show her when she is older and its just a bit of fun. Why do i not see it this way. I dont want to tell him not and be a kill joy. After all its nice that he wants to do it really....

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 20-Feb-14 13:40:56

You're growing a baby you are allowed to be irrational. smile

lunar1 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:43:32

I don't like them either, no idea why!

gamerchick Thu 20-Feb-14 13:44:26

if you don't want it then don't have one. You can't be forced into anything. You might feel differently as you digest the idea but ultimately it's your choice. You'll meet your baby soon enough.

SomethingOnce Thu 20-Feb-14 13:44:51

I didn't pay for a private scan but they did a quick 3D view at the end of DD's anomaly scan. The regular 2D pics were cute, but tbh I found the 3D one a bit freaky. (She turned out normal-looking though!)

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 20-Feb-14 13:45:25

I think they're creepy.

SomethingOnce Thu 20-Feb-14 13:46:17

Save the money for a nice treat for you when the baby arrives smile

MrsBungle Thu 20-Feb-14 13:47:31

I didn't want a 3d of either of my 2 either. Not sure why I don't like them but I do find them a bit creepy. Friends who've had them done - their babies look nothing like it anyway when they come out! Each to their own but your dh can't force you to do it - just say no of you don't wAnt to - whatever the reason.

LucyB1 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:05:13

Dont get me wrong. He's not forcing me al all!!! I just cant work out why i dont want one and why it has got me so emotional.

MissSlackPants84 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:05:50

I hate them. All the babies look like little aliens. Save your pennies smile

SomethingOnce Thu 20-Feb-14 14:13:15

Because you don't.

And that's all you need to know.

Lottystar Thu 20-Feb-14 17:09:10

We did it with both my boys and it was a fun milestone in the pregnancy to look forward to and just share together. Also you have no scans after 20 weeks so I wanted reassurance in seeing the little one again before the birth. Just my preference. Honestly whilst an interesting look at the baby in the womb I don't think the pictures of my boys were hugely accurate, a resemblance but nothing more. Talk with your partner and just say if it doesn't feel right to you, I'm sure he will respect that.

mmgirish Thu 20-Feb-14 17:15:50

My husband thought the 4d scan was AMAZING, I thought the baby looked like voldemort...

DaddyIsHome Thu 20-Feb-14 17:47:44

I booked one for DP when she was pregnant and she was excited but my mum said she found them weird and thought it was a waste, then she came with us and was amazed, probably more so than DP and me. But you are allowed to be itrational when pregnant smile i think you will love it when you get there

HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Thu 20-Feb-14 18:27:17

I have to say, I find them creepy (my consultant usually flicks from b&w to 3d during scans). But I do think that if your DP really wants one it might be nice to oblige. He obviously wants to be involved in the pregnancy and it's hard on partners to be so completely uninvolved for the first nine months. And they're sometimes so shoved out because all of the attention is on the pregnant woman.

Each to their own but if I didn't have a moral objection, I'd agree so that he could see it (and then close my eyes if I didn't want to). It's not like it's going to hurt you or the baby or like it's a huge chore.

LucyB1 Thu 20-Feb-14 18:42:14

I agree homeiswheretheginis. I am lucky to have someone as excited as I am and I should appreciate that. grin Coming round to the idea all ready so I'm sure when its been 8 weeks since I have seen her I will be glad we are doing it. Think I was just tired and hormonal wink

LucyB1 Thu 20-Feb-14 18:42:59

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Love mumsnet!

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Thu 20-Feb-14 18:45:45

No, I hate them, and would NOT have had one.

HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Thu 20-Feb-14 18:51:42

Hormones are normal so I would see how you feel tomorrow. Personally I feel like I'm on a roller coaster at times!

It is lovely to have someone that's interested though isn't it? I feel really lucky too. My DH is usually really reserved in public but I'll never forget the look on his face when we had our first scan and he's been there for every single scan since then. He also tries to feel DS moving every day (at 20 weeks I can feel him but he can't yet). It's so nice for them to feel involved and I try to include him in everything because I don't want him to feel sidelined.

They are seriously creepy though so I would get it if you closed your eyes smile The first time my consultant switched to 3d he didn't warn me first and I nearly fell off the couch I recoiled so fast!

Lottystar Thu 20-Feb-14 19:55:55

Ladies what's creepy about them? Am I missing something? wink It's just a bit of a blobby image of your baby wriggling around. I had my second ds in Germany and the 3d scans are almost standard, they also scan you on literally every check up. Very different from UK.

Lottystar Thu 20-Feb-14 19:56:28

Er, 4d not 3d.

Mummytothearkbuilder Thu 20-Feb-14 20:40:15

We had one with our DS and this pregnancy. I really enjoy them, it's a lovely experience especially as our DS came to the 4d scan with this pregnancy. My DH loved it too - he is very hands on and anything that makes him feel more involved he loves!!

Saying that they are quite pricy so if you don't really want one it can feel like a waste of money xx

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Thu 20-Feb-14 23:12:45

I really wanted one however ours was pretty bad as she was hiding behind the placenta so was all distorted! did mean they did it for free though, although never watched the dvd - was strange enough the first time! !

HelliT87 Sun 24-May-15 16:44:50

Mine was amazing and he/she doesn't look like an alien lol. Looks just like it's Daddy

brokencrayons Sun 24-May-15 17:16:06

I wouldn't want one sad I wouldn't want to know what's baby looks like, so you're not being irrational x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now