Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking appointment/Dating scan

(17 Posts)
Miriama Wed 19-Feb-14 20:03:55

Just looking for a bit of advice, as this is my first time! I spoke to my GP on Friday 14th (very romantic!) and told him I was pregnant, he said that a community midwife would be in touch with me. I have received a letter advising of a scan date next Thursday 28th which is great, but should I have had a booking in appointment before then? I'm a bit confused about what needs to happen next! I'm in SE London - any advice gratefully received!

Hobby2014 Wed 19-Feb-14 21:30:26

I'm not sure but this is what Ive had:
Doctors at 7 weeks, he wasn't bothered and said go to reception and book appointment with midwife.
Midwife appointment at 8 weeks to basically book up my booking appointment.
Booking appointment at 9 weeks. This is when they gave me my scan date.
Scan at 12 weeks.
Midwife appointment at 16 for blood results, heartbeat etc.
Im 17 weeks now.
Scan in 3 weeks.
Next midwife appointment in 7 weeks.

SandwichBag Wed 19-Feb-14 21:41:04

I saw my doctor at 6 weeks. She booked me in with the hospital of my choice (after we had a little discussion about it), booked me in with the midwife and sorted my exemption form. I was very impressed!

Exemption card arrived the next week.

(Had a private scan at 8 weeks as too impatient)

Saw the midwife at 9 weeks. She weighed me, took bloods, urine sample and booked me in to their system (long questionnaire). As I wanted the NF scan and combi blood test she faxed over my scan form to the hospital whilst I was there (even putting the dates down I couldn't make).

Got my letter with scan date a week later, which is taking place tomorrow when I will be 11+ 6.

I have called and made my next midwife appointment according to the schedule I was given at my booking in which will be when I'm 15 weeks.

I will have 10 midwife appointments in total and 2 scans (12 and 21 weeks) all being well.

Think that's pretty standard from what family and friends have told me but have to say I've been impressed so far and everyone I've met has been lovely

jessplussomeonenew Wed 19-Feb-14 23:23:29

How many weeks are you? Seems a bit odd not to have been booked in if you're approaching 12 weeks - can you call the community midwife team directly? That said, booking appt is mostly form-filling so not as time-limited as the scan.

jessplussomeonenew Wed 19-Feb-14 23:23:29

How many weeks are you? Seems a bit odd not to have been booked in if you're approaching 12 weeks - can you call the community midwife team directly? That said, booking appt is mostly form-filling so not as time-limited as the scan.

Miriama Thu 20-Feb-14 07:04:40

Hey thanks for responses, im around ten weeks, ws given forms for scan, bloods and referral to midwife last Friday, Im off to Copenhagen for the weekend so will call the surgery when I get back and see what is happening. First timer so literally have no idea whst to expect!

SammyW33 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:08:07

Hi I've had a bit of a different experience, I'm between 10/11 weeks now and haven't seen anyone yet. My first midwife appt is 1 March and my scan is 3 March. I was also going to ask what to expect for the midwife appointment.

Also is there anywhere I can get a guide to the abbreviations used as I don't know what half of them mean when I read posts.

For example what does it mean when people say I'm
11 + 6 ( I've seen this on other posts with different numbers) and also what is an NF blood test?

Thanks

SandwichBag Thu 20-Feb-14 07:50:44

11+6 means I'm 11 weeks 6 days. I will be 12 weeks on Friday. I feel I can be accurate (well as accurate as you can be before your 20 week scan) on dates as at my 8 week scan, they said I was 8+1 according to measurements, heartbeat etc

SandwichBag Thu 20-Feb-14 07:52:13

Sorry NF is Nuchal Fold - they do a measurement of the fluid behind he babies head I think combined with a blood test to determine the risk of Downs Syndrome

jessplussomeonenew Thu 20-Feb-14 07:53:47

You do get a list of some official abbreviations in your maternity notes but might be worth googling for a list of less official ones! 11+6 means 11 weeks and 6 days pregnant. The 12 week scan is often called the nuchal translucency scan as they measure the width of an area of fluid at the back of the neck to assess your risk of downs and other chromosomal problems. That's sometimes abbreviated to NT. This scan, if you want it, can't be done after 13+6, so you might be best to check 3 March is comfortably before that. Sometimes later in pregnancy a measurement of the Nuchal fold (NF) is taken (same location but later in pregnancy the pocket of fluid isn't there so I think they measure a skin fold instead) and sometimes people say one when they mean the other.

jessplussomeonenew Thu 20-Feb-14 07:54:37

Sorry for cross posting!

SammyW33 Thu 20-Feb-14 08:37:03

Thanks for advice and guidance. I'm so stupid and was thinking why don't people just post 17 weeks haha! I guess as haven't seen anyone yet that is why I don't have a list. Thank you again

TomatoandCheese Thu 20-Feb-14 14:17:21

You'd normally get a booking appointment before the scan, but if you are already approaching 12 weeks they might combine the appointments into one to save waiting time. That is what was supposed to happen for me, except someone at the hospital ended up arranging my booking appointment for a Saturday, when the scan unit wasn't open. My midwife had to rush to find me a scan appointment before the end of the next week (13) so I could have the nuchal fold test - then it turned out my dates were wrong and I was actually only 12 + 3 anyway!

Miriama Thu 20-Feb-14 19:14:15

Thanks to all for replies, I'm calling my pal this evening to have a chat about what I should do/ask at the scan, hopefully contact the midwive in the next week or so!

BumpNGrind Thu 20-Feb-14 21:47:30

Is the booking appointment usually at home?

Miriama Thu 27-Feb-14 11:28:33

Well just back from the scan, all looking good, thank goodness. Spoke to the nurse about my midwife referral and she went straight down to the office at the hospital and left my referral there to be followed up, as I am already at 12 weeks. Hope this helps anyone else who is a bit confused! Thanks to all for replies!

Miriama Sun 02-Mar-14 21:36:42

Just to let you know I got an booking in appointment on 5th March so I guess the nudge from the hospital worked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now