Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

This 40 weeks thing..........

(15 Posts)
SaucyJack Wed 19-Feb-14 12:39:58

It's not just a random number is it? Plenty of pregnancies must last around that time, shirley?

39 weeks today and I don't think I could stand to go potentially another three weeks.

Join me for a moan anyone?

VJONES1985 Wed 19-Feb-14 12:54:23

Most pregnancies last 38-42 weeks.

mrsmugoo Wed 19-Feb-14 13:03:18

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for 40 weeks - if I think 42 then I won't be as crushingly disappointed as every day passes past 40 weeks.

WeGotAnnie Wed 19-Feb-14 13:05:04

37-42 weeks is normal range

I was 42+5 with DC1, 37+5 with DC2

greentshirt Wed 19-Feb-14 13:06:06

Oh I feel the same. Im 33 weeks and could weep when I think it could be another 9. Although its going fast it seems like FOREVER. Im thinking its natures way of helping you through the fear of labour, by the time its ready to be born you'd do anything to get it out regardless of the pain!

mummie2b1987 Wed 19-Feb-14 14:20:36

I'm 39 weeks tomorrow sad no sign of anything happening soon for me!!!hmm I thought once I got to 37 weeks for some reason things would change and I'd be symptom spotting for labour.... Now I realise I still have another potential 17 days left !!! fingers crossed op it's not too long for us both sad xxx

kimlo Wed 19-Feb-14 14:24:47

ive got 2 dds and I've never been 40 weeks pregnant. Mine were born at 38 and 39 weeks.

I was completely sick of being pregnant by 39 weeks the second time but I think that had more to do with the fact everybody including my midwife told me second babies come earlier than the first hmm

findingherfeet Wed 19-Feb-14 14:26:09

I was 39 weeks yesterday and a

findingherfeet Wed 19-Feb-14 14:29:48

Duh!

And am surprised how impatient I feel, my DD arrived a day before her due date and I wasn't stressed at all then.

Now I feel I'm READY! Bored waiting, I'm all prepared, I've cleaned lots, I'm increasingly impatient with DD hmm I've googled lots, I'm ready for the earlier, quicker birth I've heard so much about !! Come on baby!!

(Also crapping myself as know what is coming with labour/recovery/sleeplessness!!)

thecakeisalie Wed 19-Feb-14 15:00:04

I was so naive before I had ds1 - I theoretically knew pregnancies last 9 months but honestly it only hit me just how long 9 months is when I actually fell pregnant. I went at 40+2 with ds1 but ds2 didn't arrive until 41+3 after a false alarm at 37+5 so I literally had 4 weeks of niggles and waiting thinking it could be any time, it drove me a little mad.

I'm 34 weeks with dc3 and this last part is really dragging. I'm already huge and uncomfortable it's a depressing thought to think it could be another 7-8 weeks. The anxiety has set in for me now and I have the horrible nagging feeling that it's all going to go horribly wrong which really isn't helping.

T.v shows have a lot to answer for they make it whole process seem so much shorter and easier than it actually is!

SaucyJack Wed 19-Feb-14 17:48:11

I think that's the key mrsmugoo

It just feels like I'm in the desert and I can see a city on the horizon, but as soon as I get there it's all just a mirage and I've still got thousands of miles to go. Or something.

It's not my first either, but I don't remember feeling this crappy with the others. I think I've spent too long on here reading about everyone else going overdue tbh wink

JustDanni Fri 21-Feb-14 17:05:47

Yes and no. A lot of the time t depends on size of baby.
If you are having a bigger baby and are measuring big then they wont let you go much longer.

However, you could be waiting another 3 weeks sad

TheOnlySeven Fri 21-Feb-14 18:57:01

I can't imagine how fed up and uncomfortable you must be by 40 weeks, mine were 35+5, 35+6 and 35+4.

Amyjade14 Sat 22-Feb-14 07:54:47

I know how you must be feeling, I was 42 weeks with my 1st and induced, I was convinced I would be early with my 2nd as everyone said 2nd babies come early! But she was 41+1 and wet into labour after a sweep.

But, she is here now, 2 weeks old and I have completely forgotten about 9 months of pregnancy already! Hope you don't have to wait much longer x

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 22-Feb-14 07:57:42

I went to 41+4 last time, and I'm hoping to god this time round it's sooner because I'm 36 now and HAD ENOUGH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now