Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch marks appeared - looking for miracle cure...

(16 Posts)
BNmum Wed 19-Feb-14 12:13:48

Hi all,
I'm now 36 weeks and after religiously using body lotion I've woken to find my backside and tops of thighs covered in stretch marks sad. Does anyone have an tips to avoid anymore appearing and help get rid of the ones that have appeared?

Mmolly2013 Wed 19-Feb-14 12:19:27

I've stocked up in the stretch mark oil it's same as bio oil but you get it for 1 pound in pound shops and it is the same ingredients. Oil might absorb and last longer on the affected area

everythinghippie29 Wed 19-Feb-14 12:57:16

Not sure there is much you can do but bio oil/stretch mark treatment religiously! I think a lot of it depends on how naturally stretchy your skin is!

I rather smugly thought I'd avoided them but 3 days after giving birth I got them over tummy and tops of thighs! Doh! I've been using a stretch mark oil and cocoa body butter since but haven't noticed a difference yet (8 weeks later) sad

Hope you have better luck!

greentshirt Wed 19-Feb-14 13:00:09

You cant get rid of them but bio oil will help them fade I believe. It was on offer for half price in Boots recently, not sure if it still is.

I havent got any new ones yet (aside from my teenage growing ones) am expecting to wake up one day riddled with them too!

WeGotAnnie Wed 19-Feb-14 13:01:32

Yno magic cure. Keep your skin moisturised now and after the birth. There are fading creams you can use later, but they had minimal effect on mine.
I was the same as you...not a mark on me until 40 weeks and then suddenky they appeared. Its nature. Try not to fret.

mrsmugoo Wed 19-Feb-14 13:01:41

I don't think anything you can apply onto your skin actually makes a difference as creams and oils don't penetrate down far enough.

They are unavoidable unfortunately!

p.s 36 weeks here and also found my first few stretch marks at the weekend. Am not bothered at all - considering them marks of honour.

Tomkat79 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:56:51

Come on ladies....wear your tiger stripes with pride!! Don't waste loads of money on lotions and potions that don't work...embrace em grin

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 19-Feb-14 14:24:34

I think keep moisturising. No need to spend a fortune on bio oil type stuff (although it's nice) normal baby oil or lotion will do the trick just as well. Won't magically make them disappear but keeping skin soft and supple helps them to fade afterwards

hubbahubster Wed 19-Feb-14 20:34:41

Whether you get them or not is mostly genetic. But there is a (painful looking) salon treatment you can have post-pregnancy that involves rolling needles over your skin, works wonders on reducing stretch marks. If you're brave enough...

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Feb-14 20:46:58

Nothing much you can do sadly. But time will fade them.

TheScience Wed 19-Feb-14 20:49:34

There's nothing you can do, but they will fade in time. The stretch marks occur deep down so moisturiser on the skin surface won't prevent them.

grobagsforever Thu 20-Feb-14 08:35:57

They are not stretch marks, they are the flames of creation! I like mine, they are a badge of honour;-)

SweetPea86 Thu 20-Feb-14 12:18:24

I think the cream are good even if they don't help get rid of them help keep your skin most. And helps with itchy skin with your tummy all being stretched

BNmum Fri 21-Feb-14 10:03:38

Thanks ladies, I'll keep moisturising and def look out for some of the £1 shop version of bio oil (shame we don't have a £1shop near us). I'm not sure the genetic thing is strictly true, as I managed DC1 without any stretch marks and I'm measuring exactly the same with dc2.

I do wonder if my level of hydration is a contributing factor though as I have to remind myself to drink plenty fluids with this one whereas with dc1 I couldn't get enough water inside me.

Showy Fri 21-Feb-14 10:08:44

BNmum, it's a combination of factors, the main one being genetics. It makes a difference what age you are too so it's quite normal to not have stretchmarks with your first but to get them with your second.

It really isn't something you have much control over. Staying hydrated and moisturising will help you feel better but the stretchmarks themselves, well they'll appear or they won't.

I had horrific stretchmarks in one pregnancy (none in the other). They were on my breasts, stomach, back, bum, thighs and down to my knees even. You can't see them so much anymore and I'm rather proud of them in a strange way.

Cariad007 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:10:48

I bought some £1 stretchmark oil (by Just for Mums I think) from Savers and my belly is stripe-free, 2 days post-birth. Of course I don't know if it was the oil, genetics or just luck that did the trick but I did get a fair amount of stretchmarks at puberty, which I was expecting a repeat of in pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now