Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low Placenta at 20week scan

(7 Posts)
Flickstar Wed 19-Feb-14 07:51:35

My placenta was low at my 12 week scan but I was told that lots are and that it was likely to be higher at later scans. I've just had another one at 22 weeks and the placenta is still low. They don't seen bothered and said still plenty of time for it to move up. Just wondering if anyone had a low placenta at 20ish weeks and what the outcome was? Thanks in advance.

magichandles Wed 19-Feb-14 07:57:46

I had a low placenta with both my DCs and it had moved by 32/ 34 weeks in both cases.

notscarletbutgold Wed 19-Feb-14 08:02:15

Hi - I had low placenta at 20 week scan with DS1 and was also told it would almost certainly move up. I had to have a scan at 36 weeks to double check. At the 36 week scan it hadn't in fact moved and was partially covering my cervix (placenta previa) so I ended up having an elective CS at 37 weeks. It was absolutely fine in the end but I do wish I'd been more prepared as I'd blithely assumed it would move and I'd have my home birth with flowers and candles... So the chances are yours will move up as I believe most do, but might be as well to research options just in case. I would reiterate that the CS was fine and DS's birth a very happy memory, just not quite what I was expecting. HTH and good luck with your pregnancy.

JustCallMeBaldrick Wed 19-Feb-14 08:07:07

Mine took until 38 weeks to move up. Having had scans at 34 and 36 weeks to check it I was losing hope, but it did eventually move. Just waiting for this baby to realise where the exit is...

marshmallow2468 Wed 19-Feb-14 08:09:21

Mine had moved by the 34 week scan. I think they mostly do move.

weebairn Wed 19-Feb-14 08:26:57

Mine was at 20 weeks and was practically the other side of my womb at 36 weeks repeat scan. I had a normal delivery.

I think I was quoted 90% odds of it moving if it's not actually touching. Ones that are partially covering are less likely to move.

Flickstar Wed 19-Feb-14 09:29:36

Thanks all! It is not touching apparently. I had a CSection in my previous pregnancy due to pre eclampsia and was planning to play it by ear this time round with regards to ELCS and VBAC as I imagined it would largely depend on my BP. However, it may depend on this if BP behaves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now