Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

6 wks & just started new job

(7 Posts)
Fissawissa Tue 18-Feb-14 18:22:57

So I'm about 6 weeks & this week I started a part time job.
This baby will be our 2nd and I'm feeling it more this time around!
I feel a bit guilty starting a new job knowing that I will be leaving again - when do I have to tell them I'm expecting a baby?

AmandaHE Tue 18-Feb-14 19:29:00

Its at least 15 weeks before the week the baby is due - so its about 24 weeks (which I think is also when you are entitled to start leave from- if you were that desperate!) So you have a while and theres no rush. The only thing is that you are entitled to go to antinatal appointments in work time so you'd have to tell them if you wanted to take advantage of that and sometimes it helps if someone at work knows you keep needing to disappear off to be sick! There's loads of helpful info on gov.co.uk all about maternity rights and pay and useful for making you feel less guilty too :-) Congratulations!

moobaloo Tue 18-Feb-14 20:15:15

I started a new job when I was 3 weeks preg and didn't know, felt a bit guilty! Told them at 14 weeks after scan

You won't be entitled to maternity pay from them, but probably to maternity allowance from HMRC if you've paid enough national insurance recently. Google it smile

When I told my work they were very good, but I made sure to point out that in knew they wouldn't be paying me maternity pay and we agreed that I would actually leave before the baby was born and not have a set leave period, wouldn't be going back, they would replace me etc. this was what we decided but if you want to go back then obviously you need to let them know your intentions and have everything as transparent as possible so both of you know what's happening and no confusion arises!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Fissawissa Tue 18-Feb-14 20:44:45

Thank you :0)
I haven't worked since 2009 & my last job was in Ireland so not sure il be entitled to any maternity pay? (I'm a British citizen?)
I wouldn't be going back to work, I only do 12 hours a week .

Rockchick1984 Tue 18-Feb-14 23:08:41

If you work there for 26 weeks you will be eligible for maternity allowance, paid by the government.

livingzuid Wed 19-Feb-14 07:43:55

There is an EU agreement where if you have been I in a member state paying towards the equivalent of NI then this can be used to claim state benefits in that country. I am in the Netherlands and my NI contributions in the UK mean I can claim my unemployment and maternity benefits here. There should be some advice online. They should contact the hmrc equivalent in Ireland to get a statement of your payments but you will need to supply proof in the form of P60s, payslips etc.

Info should be online.

livingzuid Wed 19-Feb-14 07:45:06

Just to say with the Dutch I had to go back to 2006 with work history so you may be entitled to something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now