Talk

Advanced search

Glucose tolerance test?

(18 Posts)
SweetPea86 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:46:24

Had one this morning to check for pregnancy diabetes she said they will ring if they find any thing wrong, if you had this done how long did it take them to ring you, feel worried just waiting to hear if I have GD sad

cathpip Tue 18-Feb-14 17:18:23

I had to wait a week, but then mine was between Xmas and new year and then I had to phone them for the results.

Mummytobe2014 Tue 18-Feb-14 18:14:35

I had to wait until my next mw apt which was about 2 weeks after and then the mw told me she would post my results as she didn't have them so I had to wait ages but I wasn't advised that I may have had a telephone call? Perhaps if something had of shown up they may have called??
Try not to worry about it, I know its easier said than done! smile

clareyfarey Tue 18-Feb-14 18:17:36

I had one on the 7th and haven't heard anything so am hoping this is good news! Try not to worry, easier said than done I know! smile

redhead78 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:02:13

I had my GTT last Wednesday morning and was told that if there was nothing wrong they'd write to me and if I had developed GD someone would ring me sooner than that to get treatment started. Unfortunately I got the phone call about 6 hours later sad

If you have developed GT the NHS seems pretty vigilant about it at the moment and it seems to be the "buzz" word of the moment so I can't imagine they'd leave it more than a day or two to let you know if you did have it as they want to start treating it asap for the baby's sake as well as yours.

Good luck, I sincerely hope you get good news

curiousgeorgie Tue 18-Feb-14 19:07:06

I had GD but they still didn't ring me until 9 days later...

Then I got told off at the diabetic clinic that I didn't have a weeks worth of food diary for them, when is only been told to the day before!

AnnaBanana25 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:26:27

Sorry for jumping on this, I have been told I will need to be tested, when do they book you in to do this? Thanks.

SweetPea86 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:32:01

Hi Anna they do it between 24 and 28 weeks, but vie only just had mine at 32 weeks as I'm an idiot and totally forgot about the appointment. Yet again it was suppose to be yesterday morning and I got the date wrong. So I rang up in panic luckily they got me in this morning.

I'd never even heard of it and on my 28 week midwife app she just rang up and booked it for me. How many weeks are you.

As for the other replies thanks hopefully I won't hear from them I'm pretty nervous but trying not to let it worry me fingers crossed

singlespeedlass Tue 18-Feb-14 19:33:02

Mine has been booked for same time as my 28 week appointment. Good luck!

hazeldawn Tue 18-Feb-14 19:55:17

I have mine booked for 16 weeks so had it last time round that time the midwife rand 20 min after the diabetic team saying that they would be calling to which I replied they rang earlier she said they must be quiet today usually takes 2-3 days for them to call if anything shows up they will soon ring

SweetPea86 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:09:19

What will happen if I have it do I have to have insulin injections I'm so scared.

How did you react? It's always something I worry about getting but scary hoping it doesn't effect baby sad

jojominto Tue 18-Feb-14 20:20:35

Hi SweetPea I had GD with in my 3rd pregnancy and am waiting to be tested in 2 weeks to see if I will get it this time.

I did not have insulin injections or tablets was all diet related had to keep a diary of food and weight Carbs ect but im used carb counting as my daughter is Type 1 Diabetic (she loved that I had to check my blood like her) so was few blood tests a day (pricking finger testing blood on a small mointor recording reading) then going to hospital every 2-4 weeks to see Diabetic team and haveing regular scans to check babies weight, they booked me in to be induced 2 weeks before due date, but DS decided to come 2 days before I was due to be induced he was a healthy 7lb 9oz he had to have hif foot pricked and blood tested a few times over 12 hours then we were allowed home. I hope your result comes back clear but if not try not to worry you will have a great team looking after you smile

redhead78 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:25:02

Please try not to worry. I've been totally stressed and an emotional wreck since my diagnosis but once you get your head around it it's really not that bad. Initially they'll want you to try and control your blood sugar levels by adjusting your diet and you'll be given a finger pricking kit to test yourself first thing in the morning and then an hour after each meal. It sounds a lot worse than it is. Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't love doing it, but you really do get used to doing it surprisingly quickly.

I've found it useful to keep a diary of everything I eat and then keep track of the subsequent reading so I can identify what foods trigger my levels.

You should be given a couple of weeks to try with the diet changes and if that doesn't work they would prescribe metformin tablets which help your body process the glucose more effectively. It's only in very extreme cases that they prescribe insulin for gestational diabetes as far as I'm aware.

I don't mean to sound or come across as a know it all but I've been doing A LOT of reading into it over the last fortnight. To be honest, the information I was given by the hospital dietician was next to useless and all the helpful stuff I've learnt has been from searching old threads on here. There's a lot of reassurance from other sufferers and, more helpfully, lots of tips about what foods to avoid and what foods have worked for other people.

It's taken me very nearly 7 days but my sugars are finally starting to stabilise and have all been below my target for the last few readings so if they stay like that I'll be keeping off the tablets for as long as possible, I don't want to take them unless I absolutely have to. It's been hard adjusting my diet but I keep telling myself that it's only for another 12 weeks at the most and my baby's health is worth the sacrifices.

I really hope what I've said has helped calm you a bit and that you don't have GD, but if you do look at old threads on here and don't hestitate to get in touch with me if I can help in any way. I really don't mind and I know all too well how scary it is and worrying (this if the first day I haven't broken down in tears for 2 weeks!!).

AnnaBanana25 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:39:37

Thanks for info on timing guys. I'm 22 weeks and had an appt yesterday which I thought was odd, my next one is at 27 weeks, so should I be contacting her beforehand to ask about it, or assume she knows what is going on? I'm worried as she said at the beginning if I have gd I won't be able to give birth at the maternity unit. I just want to know and get it over and done with!

redhead78 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:44:09

I can't give you any help on that one I'm afraid AnnaBanana. My midwife booked my appointment for my GTT, but it was done at the hospital rather than my local clinic. If you've got questions I would just ring your midwife and ask her how it will be arranged so you know rather than spending the next five weeks worrying about it.

SweetPea86 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:18:57

Thanks ladies for reassurance I suppose I best try not worry unless I hear news. It's good to hear it can be controlled by diet.

Redhead I remember reading your post earlier on in week so I'm glad your feeling more positive now and thanks for all the advice.

Annabanna my midwife phoned up and booked it for me at my 28 week app. So maybe she will do this for you, if not ask her about it. I didn't get a letter or any thing to confirm app and totally forgot about it so I could of had this sorted a month a go lol. So make sure you write the app down. I'm blaming baby brain lol

SweetPea86 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:20:58

Oh actually no it was my 24 week app that she booked it for me for 28 weeks preg. So ring midwife and ask she might sort it out for you if not I got it done at the maternity ass unit you could ring up there and they could help. Obviously it might be different depending on were you live.

AnnaBanana25 Wed 19-Feb-14 06:59:04

Ahh, thanks sweet pea, I will def contact the midwife and ask. I wonder if she is waiting for our next appt to book it in, but if it can be done sooner, I'd be happier!

Fingers crossed that all is ok with your results!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now