Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is 132 a low platelet count?

(4 Posts)
floppops Tue 18-Feb-14 13:08:36

I'm 35+4 weeks and have just had a blood test result of 132. I'm due a c section at 39 weeks but am a bit worried I might go into labour early as baby's been engaged since 32 weeks and I had a show on Monday.
Anyway the midwife says it's only a worry if it was under 100.
Is there anything I should be doing to stop it getting lower? And is there a danger of not being able to have c section/epidural?
Won't be seeing the doc for 2 weeks.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:25:03

I had bloods taken last week and as instructed I rang to get my results and spoke to the Receptionist. She told me my platelets had come back at 104 which is low but that the GP had signed the results off as being nothing to worry about. I'm on treatment for anaemia and was told to just continue with those. I'm also booked to have a c-section in 5 weeks and am also slightly worried as I've heard low platelets can result in women having to have CS under General Anaesthetic as opposed to an epidural. The receptionist wasn't very helpful and I'm expecting a call from my midwife today in order to discuss it further.

cathpip Tue 18-Feb-14 14:12:17

My platelets are running around 110. Thing is they renew every 10/14 days so they could be fine. Apparently my platelets were low on my last section (not that anyone told me!) and I had a spinal. Drs start getting involved when they drop below 100, but then my bosses one of which is a surgeon and the other an anesthetist have both said " 100 is fine, it starts getting fun when they drop below 70 smile"

MummyPig24 Tue 18-Feb-14 14:56:44

I had mine done last week and it was 111. Mw said it was fine. I'm 36+2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now