Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best for cheap, quality baby essentials?

(22 Posts)
seashell81 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:51:25

Hi, please could I have recommendations for good value, good quality newborn essentials. Things like multi-packs of vests/babygroes, changing mats, muslin clothes, etc. Particularly in neutral/unisex colours :-)

Thank you x

Haribolover Tue 18-Feb-14 13:14:14

Asda are good for plain essentials, better quality IMO than Primark. For outfits really like Sainsburys. Next sale is also good for stocking up once you know the sex.

notso Tue 18-Feb-14 13:24:19

I love H&M for baby clothes, they do inbetween sizes 2-4 months and 4-6 months for example.
Nutmeg from Morrisons and Kiddicare is also very good, there is a sale at the moment, just bought DS3 a pack of 5 bright vests for £3.

I like the massive Muslins, TK Maxx often has them in the sale.

Not hugely cheap but I love these for changing mats. They can fold up small, soak up wee, can bung them in the wash, use them as a playmat, or on a soggy bench at the park!

stressbucket1 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:26:06

Agree on Asda for vests they are so cheap you can throw one out when you get the occasional nappy explosion! And yes Sainsburys clothes are lovely also their babygrows are great and wash really well think they have 25% off this week too!

misspoirot Tue 18-Feb-14 13:36:51

Another vote for asda here, pretty much got everything we needed there. Vests, sleep suits, sleeping bag, nappies, Muslins, changing mat, cot sheets and blankets etc. but my best buy was their £6 maternity bra, although I'm not sure they still have these.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:51:07

I buy something in preparation for the baby every time I'm in ASDA - I think the clothes and essentials are lovely and really good value for money!

HandMini Tue 18-Feb-14 13:55:14

Sainsburys, Nutmeg at Morrisons (can be super cheap, I got three babygros for 50p at Christmas) and H&M have been fab. And don't worry too much about quality, just go for cheap - most baby basiscs go through a hard cycle of stain/puke/poo/hot wash and before you know it they're grown out of.

starrynight123 Tue 18-Feb-14 14:03:27

I've been looking a lot at Tesco baby clothes for newborns - good quality, cute styles and really great prices!

KatAndKit Tue 18-Feb-14 14:45:09

Supermarkets are your best bet. Asda and tesco both have plenty of multipacks and you can also get things like muslins and sleeping bags there. Usually you can get a change mat for about £5. Sainsburys have quite nice baby clothes too.

seashell81 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:16:30

Thanks for the tips. :-)

IShallCallYouSquishy Tue 18-Feb-14 16:24:55

Another Asda vote here. Their muslins wash and wash and wash and I'm even reusing them for DC2.

Packs of vests again have been fab. Can't fault them at all really and I still use them as basics for my DD 21months.

dashoflime Tue 18-Feb-14 16:26:04

Another vote for ASDA here. Primark also OK

Mumof3xx Tue 18-Feb-14 16:27:56

I personally find morrisons nutmeg stuff far better quality than tesco and Asda and for a similar or lower price!
My local store always has a sale bit where I've got a lot of vests sleepsuits n pjs for half price (£4 for 3 sleepsuits £1.50 for 3 vests)
There stuff washes lovely. I find a lot of Asda stuff goes funny shapes!

rightsaidfred Tue 18-Feb-14 18:02:21

Do you have a mum2mum market near you? We have managed to get so much secondhand yet hardly worn.....some still with tags. I have got much better quality stuff than if we had bought new and have saved a fortune. They list the sales on the website www.mum2mummarket.co.uk

CitrusyOne Tue 18-Feb-14 18:04:56

If you can manage to hit on an Aldi baby even their stuff is brilliant. Muslins especially, but vests and babygros too, socks and tights, and their nappies and wipes are brill anyway.

Mummytobe2014 Tue 18-Feb-14 18:18:07

Asda and I have used Facebook to find sell it sites and I got a huge bag of baby grows, bibs, mittens, hats, outfits for £10.00 - all brilliant condition! I was over the moon as babies outgrow clothes so quickly so spending a lot of money is not something we wanted to do.

CitrusyOne Tue 18-Feb-14 18:19:53

Aldi baby event

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Tue 18-Feb-14 18:22:46

Sainsburys basics (yes really) vests have been excellent for us, also the basics plain white sleepsuits, especially for newborn.

Aldi muslins are excellent - as soft as the expensive Aden + Anais ones we were given.

Didn't rate Tesco - seemed small and no scratch mits.

Sleepyfergus Tue 18-Feb-14 18:25:23

Another vote here for Sainsburys. Also Matalan, I got vests here and they are fab quality, keep their shape, nice and soft etc. Also, their cellular blankets were much softer than a Johm Lewis one I had.

Sleepyfergus Tue 18-Feb-14 18:26:20

And you can't beat Ikea for their baby bath, potty steps, high chairs etc. when that time comes.

Mogz Tue 18-Feb-14 18:31:00

Aldi for muslins and nappies
Amazin subscription service for boxes of baby wipe
eBay for the first clothes, they'll only be worn for a couple of weeks

Tidypidy Tue 18-Feb-14 18:39:14

Peacocks are good for small baby basics too. I bought a lovely soft changing mat for £4 in Shaws. I've also recently tie dyed all our old muslins and it's given them a new lease of life! Ikea muslins are good as they're huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now