Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No TV with a newborn, any suggestions?

(26 Posts)
MaybeProbably Tue 18-Feb-14 05:17:32

On many threads, people mention watching TV while heavily pregnant, while breast feeding a newborn, or when their newborn has fallen asleep on them. I haven't owned a TV in 5 years and don't really want to, but get bored easily when not "on-the-go" and wondered if anyone had suggestions of what they have done to occupy themselves in similar situations?

Dumpylump Tue 18-Feb-14 05:24:42

Been a while since I was pregnant or breast feeding, but if I was either nowadays then I'd probably read on my kindle. Easier than an actual book because you just need to touch the screen to turn pages, so can do that one-handed.

Inglori0us Tue 18-Feb-14 05:36:55

Can you watch iPlayer or get Netflix on a laptop or tablet?

MaybeProbably Tue 18-Feb-14 05:41:37

Thanks Dumpylump, that's such a great point, I love to read and was given a kindle last year and have never figured out how to use it yet - I'll get it out and get downloading some books.

Inglori0us - I'll have to look into how much Netflix costs, but that would be a good source of entertainment too. Thank you!

Cariad007 Tue 18-Feb-14 05:57:55

First month is usually free but after that I'm not sure how much it is. Lovefilm is about a fiver a month for its watch online service so prob about the same.

littleballerina Tue 18-Feb-14 06:09:05

I used to read, crochet, eat (lots), snooze etc

puddleduck16 Tue 18-Feb-14 06:10:51

I'm currently bf my 10dyo just now and haven't watched tv at night with her. Just stayed in bed with my phone with Mumsnet and Facebook and magazines. Would love to try a book but eyes can sometimes barely concentrate when tired so don't need anything too complicated!!!
During the day it is tv though I have to admit.

willitbe Tue 18-Feb-14 06:19:26

Just to say that while newborn - sleep while they sleep!!!!

While heavily pregnant, rest with good books, you won't get much time to read I once the baby arrives for a bit. If you are craft orientated time spent designing and making thank you cards or birth announcement cards could be fun. Make batches of food to freeze for easy meals once baby arrives. Go for gentle walks if you can.

For while breast feeding, I managed to drink pints of water and eat light snacks so that I was having nourishment at the same time (I never had a kindle and books never worked one handed!) music in in the background was good.

When I had my second baby, tv for kids tv and kiddy DVDs were essential for distracting dc1, while feeding newborn dc2! But for precious firstborn sleep when you can!

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 18-Feb-14 06:30:22

I definitely second/third the Kindle idea, especially as you already have one! Much easier to hold and read while feeding rather than a paper book and a quick click to turn pages.
Also if you like music buy/borrow a good DAB radio or a cheap little speaker or dock that allows you to play music via an iPod, make up some good playlists before hand (I have different playlists for day and calmer ones for nighttime).

Inglori0us Tue 18-Feb-14 06:42:22

I think Netflix is £5 a month. They have loads of box sets on there!

PastaandCheese Tue 18-Feb-14 07:12:20

I very rarely watched tv with a newborn. I mumsnetted, read my kindle and had Radio 4 on.

I had a subscription to The Guardian on my iPad too which was great and easy to use one handed.

UntamedShrew Tue 18-Feb-14 07:36:29

I listened to all the podcasts of desert island discs and woman's hour

WorrySighWorrySigh Tue 18-Feb-14 07:41:24

If you cant even spare a finger or eyes for a kindle then do try audio books. Your library will have these and also you can buy them from Audible which means you can download them straightaway. If you can find a series which you enjoy then you will find lots to keep you entertained.

TinyTwoTears Tue 18-Feb-14 07:41:35

Books and mumsnet!. i don't have a kindle so paperbacks it is. They are manageable. Hardbacks aren't!

Rooble Tue 18-Feb-14 07:41:55

I listened to lots of radio 4, knitted, looked at mumsnet, researched stuff on the Internet, read books. And slept a lot.

Ragwort Tue 18-Feb-14 07:42:25

I just read non-stop (in the days before Kindle) - good idea to have the radio on in the background as well.

Quodlibet Tue 18-Feb-14 08:54:26

I don't have a tv and Netflix on a laptop has worked for me. It's £6/month and there are some really good series on there which saw me through the cluster feeding days and nights!

Snobble Tue 18-Feb-14 10:03:33

I agree with the kindle idea. Keep your eyes peeled on amazon for some good book deals. They have books of the day where you can pick up some good stuff for 99p.

HopefulHamster Tue 18-Feb-14 10:16:55

Kindle kindle kindle! Have you got a classic one with keyboard or the newer light-up one? (Or one inbetween?)

Jess03 Tue 18-Feb-14 10:50:55

Radio. So many good programs. In our time has nearly every episode available on the website. Music more generally, CDs, iPod etc

Mim78 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:33:45

I could read and bf with dd1. Listened to radio at.night as Dh thought it helped her sleep - no idea if he was right - possibly.

Also contacted friends/family in Australia!

midnight1983 Tue 18-Feb-14 17:56:41

Download podcasts and play out loud on an ipod dock or laptop.

llljkk Tue 18-Feb-14 18:01:20

MN!

MaybeProbably Wed 19-Feb-14 01:41:01

thank you very much to everyone who took the time to reply and offer ideas - these are all brilliant. I'll get cracking on looking into netflix, and get learning how to use my kindle (hopefulhamster its a fancy light up one, an xmas pressie).

HopefulHamster Wed 19-Feb-14 08:43:35

That's great, Maybe - that means you can read it whether you're in a dark or light room and the battery life is great. You can also turn the pages with either hand, which is helpful for when you're feeding little ones. I love my Kindle, but I have about 71 unread books on it - ooops.

You can also now download articles off the internet straight to your Kindle which might be useful now and then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now