Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spa day in early pregnancy

(8 Posts)
Sparkle9 Mon 17-Feb-14 23:28:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparkle9 Tue 18-Feb-14 07:46:12

Katz Tue 18-Feb-14 07:47:52

Swimming fine, you'll need to talk to person doing the massage as they'll need to be careful with the oils they use. Steam and sauna are not recommended.

Rockchick1984 Tue 18-Feb-14 07:47:53

Swimming is fine, you will need to tell the therapist that you're pregnant and they will usually do a massage with just plain oil rather than anything scented.

Sparkle9 Tue 18-Feb-14 07:49:59

Novia Tue 18-Feb-14 07:51:47

I believe that they also advise against massage as it can have purging consequences, expelling toxins, etc. although I'm sure it's fine, for peace of mind could you change it to shoulder and head massage instead? Steam and sauna are out as there is an overheating risk, but swimming is fine!

Mim78 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:38:08

I did use steam room and Jacuzzi as gp told me it was fine as long as came out if I felt too hot. He was German so perhaps is part of their culture...

Luckygirl7 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:14:40

Hi, you will most likely find that they won't perform the massage, I am a spa therapist and every place that I've worked won't do body treatments before 12 weeks. (It's true about the massage being purging, and although it is a very minimal risk, therapists and establishments like to cover themselves should something happen, and most insurance companies insist on it as well)
We would offer a manicure or pedicure or maybe a short facial (without massage) as alternatives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now