Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spotting at 17 weeks, going out of my mind

(14 Posts)
NurseSapphire Mon 17-Feb-14 21:34:22

Hi all

I was seventeen weeks on Sunday, had a private scan on Saturday and all looks well with baby girl. However, I've had some spotting this morning, fresh blood in mucus initially then old blood. I was at work when it happened, phoned maternity triage and went and got checked out. They heard baby's heartbeat and internal exam showed no further bleeding.

I want to believe I'm out of the woods but now I'm living on my nerves. I'm on constant knicker watch, analysing every twinge and just crying all the time. I'm now so low.

Please someone, give me hope.xx

bevbennett100 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:40:09

I had quite heavy bleeding a couple of times in my pregnancy, once at about 5 weeks, once at 12 weeks. All fine though, and I now have an amazing 10 month old son.

It is so so worrying, but unfortunately there's nothing you can do, so try not to get too stressed. I think if there is a heart beat now, and the last scan showed all everything was progressing well, then all the signs are positive.

permaquandry Mon 17-Feb-14 21:40:39

Poor, poor you. Have some thanks and a brew.

It must be very worrying but you've been checked today and heard the heartbeat, so that's excellent news. And they've checked for internal bleeding which isn't there, so again, please try to be reassured.

Pregnancy is worrying and we're conditioned to think that bleeding in preg is a very bad sign, however, many women bleed during pregnancy, sometimes a lot/the whole 9 months and all is fine.

Please take comfort on the checks you had today and that the blood is now brown. Did the midwife say what it could be?

Try not worry, much easier said than done, I know. But a very good friend has taught be 'only concern yourself with what you know for sure and don't speculate on what might be'.

Relax and try to get any early night, I hope you feel better in the morning and if you don't, ring your midwife, they'll be happy to listen to you or see you again.

Take care.

NurseSapphire Mon 17-Feb-14 21:50:20

Thank you so much, kind people.

They said it could be a small burst vessel in my cervix but didn't actually see anything on examination.

I just feel sick with worry. This baby is so longed for. I was lucky enough to fall quickly but I feel my true purpose in life is to be a mother. I just feel like recently I'm too happy and something is due to go wrong... then this happens.

I'm not normally such a pessimist sad

Thanks so much again, you've given me a much needed boost thanks

permaquandry Mon 17-Feb-14 21:55:55

Well, from what you post, it sounds like you are going to be a wonderful mother. Take it easy and do pop back and keep us updated.

So glad our replies have made you feel better.

Exciting times for you, just relax and take it easy. smile

permaquandry Mon 17-Feb-14 21:58:32

Oh and by the way, I completely understand how you feel. I spent my pregnancies with my heart in my mouth and they were absolutely fine.

Tranquilitybaby Tue 18-Feb-14 07:39:51

Completely understand how you're feeling, I had spotting with both of mine. They're currently 11 and 8. Try to rest a bit and keep calm. Rescue remedy helps lots xx

Mumof3xx Tue 18-Feb-14 07:42:13

I bled at 16 weeks with one of my dc

Quite a significant amount of bright red blood when I woke one morning

It was scary
My local hospital put me on the labour ward too which made it worse as all I could hear was ladies labouring and newborn cries

However all was fine

The bleeding seemed to be just once and ds is now 4 years old

The rest of my pregnancy was normal

miki123 Tue 18-Feb-14 07:53:24

oh love, i so so sympathise as i am EXACTLY the same as you - worried that this happiness will come crashing down at any point but permaquandry's words are very wise and we should both follow them. I had bleeding at 18 weeks, but after a day it stopped and all is now well…the midwives would NOT tell you that things looks fine if they weren't and bleeding happens to so many people (the more i talk about it with friends, the more i hear similar stories). Take care of yourself and big big hugs xxx

Writerwannabe83 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:30:38

Morning Nurse - I had a big bleed when I was 14 weeks. I'd gone for a wee, wiped, and the tissue paper was saturated with fresh red blood and the toilet bowl water was pure red. I was absolutely petrified!!!! I went straight to the hospital (with a huge sanitary towel in place) which was then also covered with blood by the time I arrived. The Doctors examined me internally and couldn't find any reason for the bleed and a scan showed the baby was absolutely fine. The doctor guessed it may have just been a burst blood vessel but said no definite cause could be given. I was allowed home where I continued to lose brown blood for about 4-5 days but the midwives weren't concerned. I was told a cause may be noticed at my 20 week scan so until that took place 6 weeks later I was on constant knicker watch and was convinced I was going to lose the baby - I had lots of tears too!!

My 20 week scan was fine though, I didn't have any further bleeding and my baby is now due in 5 weeks.

Take comfort from hearing the heartbeat and just rest if possible. Call Triage back if the bleeding worsens of if you get any pains and cramps, but otherwise just try and write it off as 'one of those things' that for some reason just happens to some pregnant women. x

mixi82 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:44:54

Hi, I honestly do sympathise with you. I had a bleed last week and there was bright red blood when I wiped too. Lasted a couple days and when I saw MW she didn't seem too worried, even though I was going a little mental! She did some obs and checked heart beat, said there was a little blood in my urine test but that was probably from the bleed. Anyway, she sent me to the labour ward too, and I could hear all sorts of labour noises! They have me some anti-D as my blood is rhesus negative and pretty much sent me on my way. Said if there was a major concern then I would be in a lot of pain, which I wasn't and they said sometimes we can bleed throughout pregnancy and have no explanation for it. This was Friday just gone and I have no more bleeding and my anomaly scan this afternoon. I've spent the last few days focusing on that and felt so much happier with DP's support so now I'm really looking forward to the scan.

It is a worrying time but if you've been checked and had the all clear by MW then you've nothing to worry about. Remember they see this sort of thing day in and out so if they were hugely concerned then you would know.

Sending massive hugs your way!! flowers

permaquandry Tue 18-Feb-14 09:14:03

How are you this morn?

NurseSapphire Tue 18-Feb-14 23:30:39

Heartfelt thanks to all who have offered advice and their stories of experience, you've once again settled my mind.

Feeling much more positive today. No more bleeding touches wood and feeling really well. I've text my midwife to update her and I've got an impromptu appointment with her next week. I've also hired a doppler which is hopefully arriving tomorrow... here's to hoping it doesn't fuel my anxiety (OCD is currently out of control).

Sorry for late reply, I'm back at work but on light duties. They've thankfully been so supportive.

I will be sure to update you all, but fingers crossed, there won't be much to tell. grin

I never thought pregnancy would be this nerve wracking. Thank heavens there are sweet sweet people like you to keep me sane.xx

fairypangolin Wed 19-Feb-14 09:42:17

Hi - it sounds as though you have already been reassured but I just wanted to day that I had several days of spotting at 16/17 weeks but all was fine. The MW said it was probably a burst blood vessel or else leftover from the placenta implanting. She said at that stage if something was wrong causing the bleeding I would be in a lot of pain. Try to relax and remind yourself that the vast majority of pregnancies are absolutely fine so the stats are on your side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now