Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you let work know?

(13 Posts)
Miriama Mon 17-Feb-14 21:07:02

I'm about 9 weeks pregnant now, and have my annual appraisal tomorrow, where we set objectives for the upcoming year. Is this too early to let my boss know, I'm actually feeling very nervous about this as our team is undergoing a restructure, and don't want to give a reason to be let go. Any advice please?

bevbennett100 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:26:26

Legally I don't think you need to let them know until 15 weeks before you start maternity leave, so there's no rush for you to tell them. You can wait until you feel the time is right.

I didn't tell my work until I was 18 weeks as I didn't want to be overlooked for opportunities, by then it was starting to be obvious...

mrsbug Mon 17-Feb-14 21:28:34

I would wait until at least after the first scan - longer if you can get away with it.

Meglet Mon 17-Feb-14 21:30:13

8 weeks in first pregnancy. I was off sick, and in maternity trousers by week 10.

7 weeks with DC2 because I was at home puking out of my nostrils and not leaving the house hmm. I felt safer telling them TBH.

Inbl00m Mon 17-Feb-14 21:46:08

Miriama I'm in exactly the same situation as you. 9 weeks gone and going into a restructure. I don't know if this helps (haven't decided when to tell them yet) but I plan to keep my foot on the gas for as long as possible and to try and (at least appear to) stay positive. Everybody likes a happy colleague. I hope!

Mildpanic Mon 17-Feb-14 21:56:41

I told them at 25 weeks. Absolute max I could leave it to.

Applesauce29 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:10:14

I'm 17 weeks tomorrow an still haven't told them. Had to buy new work skirts as none of my suits fit properly any more (tho maternity clothes don't look good either yet as I haven't really got a bump, just look bloated). I work in a male dominated office, and so far no-one's said anything. I'm waiting for boss to suit 6 month probation paperwork (hopefully this week), and then maybe tell them at 20 wks if I can hold out that long... Dreading the conversation tho

Applesauce29 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:12:10

Ps, I sat though a 2hr team planning session last week and didn't say anything. Don't feel guilty about not telling them if they're setting objectives.

ButICantaloupe Mon 17-Feb-14 22:14:50

Mildpanic, were they ok that you had left it as long as you had? Also, was it not really obvious that you were pregnant?

Missingcaffeine Mon 17-Feb-14 23:42:49

If there is any risk whatsoever to your job, do not tell them yet. I think if you feel very secure in and supported in your job, there is no harm in telling them early, but otherwise, the very earliest I'd tell them would be 12 weeks. If your job is very insecure, I would tell them as late as possible.

A lot of people don't even tell their nearest and dearest until the 12 week scan, so please don't feel bad about not telling work. I did tell my boss really early on, but I am in a very secure job and have been feeling really unwell and wanted her to know why I am not performing as well as usual. I also wanted her advice, as I had handed in my resignation for a new job and then had doubts about this decision. My current boss told me not to tell my new employers and said I shouldn't let pregnancy stop a career opportunity that rarely comes up. Anyway, I am soon to start a new job 14 weeks pregnant. Now that really is a conversation I am really not looking forward to!

squizita Tue 18-Feb-14 07:53:44

I had to let my work know very early as I have APS so the 1st trimester I had virtually weekly hospital visits. However my HR manager was lovely and did not put it down as 'official' just gynie (so others won't know) - I will do the official risk assessment etc' after 12 weeks.

You don't have to tell until later, but some elements of my job are physical (behaviour management aka breaking up big teenage boy fights -on very rare occasions I hasten to add) so they like to know. It depends on the nature of your job I guess.

sarahquilt Tue 18-Feb-14 08:18:06

I told mine at 9 weeks as I was very sick.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:37:13

I told mine 2 days after I found out myself as I had two health conditions that could potentially be exacerbated by pregnancy so I knew I'd have to be assessed by Occupational Health. I'm glad I told them as I had bleeding at 7, 10 and 14 weeks all of which required me to have periods of being signed off sick. Unless you have a reason to tell your Boss, then don't, you aren't obliged to. And congratulations!!!! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now