Talk

Advanced search

Changing hospitals really need advice

(15 Posts)
Rosie2011 Mon 17-Feb-14 20:49:24

Need some advice... I'm not happy about my local hospital and its my first baby. My sister lost her baby to pre eclampsia at 8 months so I'm petrified at the moment. I really would not want to have the baby In my local hospital. Is it possible to go back to my family in Oxfordshire and stay with them just before the baby is due and go to the hospital there, that I would feel comfortable with. Or will they make me travel an hour back to my hospital I'm registered with. I thought if I stayed with my family and told them I was staying there for a month they may let me have the baby there. I also wanted a water birth so I'm sure I would have to give them some notice. Has anyone else had this problem and wanted to go to a different hospital? Maybe I have to register at my families doctor. I'm not sure. I need some help. X I'm 28 weeks x

SadOldGit Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:24

you transfer care (assuming parents GP happy to take you as temp res) no hospital will turn you away in labour

Whiteshoes Mon 17-Feb-14 20:56:45

Bless you. I can feel your anxiety.

Certainly, you can do as you describe. I have friends who had a water birth in the first hospital they found when unexpectedly going into labour in anothercity.

Rosie2011 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:05:18

Thank u for your help. So would you advise I register with my families doctor or not tell them and just turn up at the hospital when I go into labour? Do you not have to tell them in advance you would prefer water birth aswell? X

HarderToKidnap Mon 17-Feb-14 21:05:19

You can be cared for as an emergency case if you turn up in labour. However, this isn't ideal...if you're not in labour and in the early stages, quite common with a first baby, they may well turn you away and tell you to go back to the hospital you are booked at. It's a bit of a risk and would be much better to get everything sorted first. Go to your GP now and ask them to fax a referral to the hospital you want to deliver at, noting on the form that you will be staying at your family home from 36 weeks (or whatever). Follow this up with a call to the antenatal clinic and find out who administrates the bookings etc. Organise a booking appointment for shortly after you arrive at your family's house and they will do the booking appt, blood tests etc all again. Then it will be official and you will be good to go.

lifeistooshort Mon 17-Feb-14 21:09:18

Hi Rosie

You have a choice where you want to give birth. When I had DS2 (a long time ago now). I as living in MK. I had a false alarm and went in and stay overnight and it was awful! I was 100% convinced that I would not have my baby there. I researched a lot of other options, including going private in London, going with Independent midwives or going to another hospital. In the end I decided to go with the IM because it was the right choice for me but I also did change hospital as there was a chance I would have strep B. I went to the new hospital (bedford) with my IM in case I had to go in and I saw a consultant who was really lovely and supported my desire to have a water birth even with Strep B. In the end I tested negative for Strep B and was able to have my home waterbirth, but if I hadn't I would have been very comfortable going to the other hospital even if that meant I would have to drive 40mns.

My NHS GP and MW weren't too happy when I told them I wanted to change hospital but when they saw I was determined, they quickly accepted the change.

My advice is be assertive and find the right place for you to give birth. It is a time where you really need to feel comfortable and confident in the care you will receive. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and labour.

Freyathecatt Mon 17-Feb-14 21:10:12

Just visit your GP and get them to refer you to your chosen hospital. I changed hospital three times during my pregnancy with no problems. It is entirely up to you where you have your baby? Good luck.

Paintyfingers Mon 17-Feb-14 23:26:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paintyfingers Mon 17-Feb-14 23:27:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrispyFB Mon 17-Feb-14 23:38:31

So long as they have space (some very popular hospitals also claim only to accept referrals from particular postcodes - I don't know how enforceable that is) then I believe you can choose or at least ask to choose anywhere you like.

Certainly I've delivered out of area with two of my three (so far) babies. You may be fobbed off initially (I wasn't, but some people are) but advocating for yourself gets you a long way in many cases.

sleepingdragon Mon 17-Feb-14 23:52:39

I am also considering going to stay at my parents to have my baby. The midwife lead unit near to them have said (and say on their website) that if you are from out of the area contact them at 36 weeks to make an appointment for a tour and for them to check you are suitable for a MLU birth. I need to check with them what would happen about my check ups after birth (so still not sure that this Will work yet),but may be an idea to phone whichever hospital you want to be referred to and see what they say?

LastOneDancing Tue 18-Feb-14 00:21:04

I have transferred hospitals - my GP had to refer me but that's as complex as it got.

If you choose to do this, please double check that they've received the referral letter - I had to get the dr to send it twice as the new hospital 'couldn't find me'!

Paintyfingers Tue 18-Feb-14 07:41:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucyfluff Tue 18-Feb-14 08:11:59

The hospital choice is entirely up to you, so just inform your GP/midwife care team as far in advance as possible.

I have chosen an out of area hospital (after moving and not wanting the local one) and it has been a complete nightmare to sort out. I have been messed around by GP and midwife and given incorrect info. In the end I went to chosen hospital last week and spoke to them, they were lovely! Booking in bloods MUST be done with the hospital you want to deliver at so they have blood group etc on record...obviously if its an emergency it would be on your hand notes too but they told me it should really all be kept at hospital. They also booked me in and requested info from community midwife. Now I will see midwife in local area for basic checks and scan/bloods at hospital.

Sorry for essay just thought I would share my experience!! A pain to sort out but glad I have my choice of where to deliver smile

Good luck!!

Rosie2011 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:35:01

Thank you so much everyone. I'm so relieved. I'm seeing midwife on Friday so will let them know. I went in last week to my local surgery in pain and had not felt him move for two days. I asked if the doctor could just check the heart beat. The receptionist didn't even ask him and just sent me home. So think il be changing surgeries aswell !! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now