Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First timer question! Hospital Bag - Nappies

(20 Posts)
moobaloo Mon 17-Feb-14 16:21:19

Hi

Dim Question alert!

I've started packing hospital bag...

How many nappies do I need to put in it?? I have a pack of Pampers Newborn and will gather a few more (different brands) before I'm due. I've just opened the pack and stuck a nappy on a cuddly toy to see how they work... I think I've done it right [hmmm] grin and have suddenly got very confused about how many to take to the hospital! I've got four out, does that seem right or will I need to take more? What if they keep me/us in for a few days, I'll definitely need more then! Should I take more just in case or just send my DP out for them if I was to need them?

How many should I take?

Goodness, this is the first thing I've got to put in the blooming bag, if I have this much confusion over everything I'll go nuts! Good job I've started packing early (27 weeks!) it could take me up to the birth to get ready!

Many Thanks

sdaisy26 Mon 17-Feb-14 16:27:03

Four won't last very long - newborns need changing every couple of hours. I've put a whole pack of 24 or so in - will probably be too many but you don't want to run out!

badfurday Mon 17-Feb-14 16:28:24

Haha, I did the same thing with a cuddly toy.

I just shoved a whole pack in the bag, pack of 20 I think. I have no idea. If I come back with them so be it. I have no idea if we are supposed to supply them or the Hospital?

hazeldawn Mon 17-Feb-14 16:44:10

With my 2 I took a pack was in over night with DD took most pod them home with ds we were in 5 days so dh (think out may have been mil idea) asked if I needed more which I did. I was lucky I told mil where stuff I wanted was she found it easy if it had been left to dh it could have taken a while guess itsa good idea to leave anything you may want in separate bag or case somewhere Dh/p can find it

ChicaMomma Mon 17-Feb-14 16:56:52

I have a pack of 24 newborn pampers in my bag- my mum reckons '7 a day, for 3 days' should cover it.. and if there's any issue, the hospital shop will have them, or I'll ask a visitor/hubby to bring another pack in.

dashoflime Mon 17-Feb-14 17:01:12

Reckon on one every 4 hours. I'd put the whole pack in

Mummyk1982 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:22:06

I've packed 12 I think- hospital have said hopefully only be there 6 hrs after delivery, 24 hrs max. If my stay exceeds this then will get hubby to bring in more. I'm struggling to fit everything in my bag!! Must finish packing it!!!

moobaloo Mon 17-Feb-14 17:22:15

Ace thank you! Whole pack going in!

I'm going to need a bigger bag grin

Mummytobe2014 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:29:08

I need to start my bag but jst dont know where to start! Im sure the idea of packing it is worse than actually doing it but there seems to be so much stuff to pack plus additional bags incase of long stay, its a bit overwhelming lol i read these threads with interest for tips and in the hope i will get my bum into gear. Im 37 weeks today! smile

ChicaMomma Mon 17-Feb-14 17:29:56

It's amazing how much stuff goes in, at the moment I only have nappies and maternity pads in there (i'm only 23 weeks, but i'm a project manager, so you know, like to be organised!!!) and it's half full already. It's fun though!!

Mummytobe2014 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:34:21

I have nappies and mat pads in the hse so guess its a good start grin

mixi82 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:43:54

Oh goodness, I didn't know mums-to-be took that many nappies! This will be my first and I think I'll take enough for 2 days, so around 14, then if I need more I'll be sending DP out to get them smile

I don't think I'll start packing my bag until 30wks though and I imagine I'll not fit everything in that I need haha!

eltsihT Mon 17-Feb-14 17:48:34

Please check what your hospital does.

Ds1 hospital provided all the disposable nappies,

Ds2 different hospital made the wear terry cloth nappies until they peed.

Both times I had to ask for help to change a nappy

Littlebean13 Mon 17-Feb-14 18:29:00

Oh god I've only packed ten :s think I'll shove another ten in just to be on the safe side after reading thread. I've packed all my stuff in one of those small weekend suitcases and it's literally fit to burst. Think I might pack another small bag of things I may or may not need and just sling it in the car so if I need anything dp can get it for me.

SomethingOnce Mon 17-Feb-14 18:54:10

Definitely a whole pack.

I had no idea how to change a nappy and had to ask a midwife to show me. She gave me a very old-fashioned look hmm

In hospital, somebody may ask if the baby has had a wee, so they know everything is working. I couldn't tell because the nappy was so dry - newborns only do little wees and modern nappies are very good - so they advised to put a clean cotton wool ball in the nappy until one is wet.

BabyDubsEverywhere Mon 17-Feb-14 19:09:51

I am packing my bag for DC4... I will be packing a full 24 pack - that should last the first day/night/morning, (I seem to deliver late afternoon and be kept in until the following late morning.)

You wont use that many nappies usually, changing them around 6-10 times a day is more of a normal day, but when first born they pass a lot of meconium in little bits, its vile and sticky and you will want to get it off them asap so you seem to change them every hour!

The joys grin

lighteningmcmama Mon 17-Feb-14 21:29:26

Am I the only one with babies who would always do another wee or poo mid nappy change?? Gosh, with both of mine when they were newborns most nappy changes required 3-4 nappies because just as you were getting the new one on there'd be another wee/poo!Take a whole pack definitely!

TheScience Mon 17-Feb-14 21:38:21

I've only packed 6 (DC2) - hopefully we'll be out in 6 hours but if we have to stay overnight DP will go home anyway so can bring more in the morning.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 17-Feb-14 21:48:29

As others have said pack for 2 days just incase so about 20. You can always ask for more to be brought in. I would pack two bags one for you and one for the baby. Sleep suits i would put in 6 for 2 days. If the clothes are 2 big is doesn't matter. But you can always have 3 new born and 3 0-3.

Inglori0us Tue 18-Feb-14 05:35:23

Last time I packed a bag for me and a separate bag for the baby. Made it easier to find stuff!
If you're travelling by car you can leave extra packet of maternity pads, some nappies, extra sets of clothes etc in the boot in case you end up staying in longer.
I'm 32 weeks but convinced this ones coming early so I'm packing it now.
Oh and don't forget to take a towel. The hospital ones were rubbish and I was told I should've brought one last time. Don't take your best towel though, a beach towel is better as it'll probably get a bit stained!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now