Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping Cough vaccine

(6 Posts)
tiggy02 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:23:58

Anyone else looked into this? I am being advised to have it - i am 32 weeks pregnant. But it says on the box not to be used on pregnant women and has only been in ciculation for the last year. MW says there are no known repercussions but to be fair if its only been about a year then surely its too early to tell? does anyone know if its the same vaccination that a 2 month old would have? I dont thnk the ingredients looks great but then if its the same that baby would have at 2 months then i guess its less important??? Any advice?

SweetPea86 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:35:36

Hi Hun
I got the vaccine 2 weeks ago. It not only is for whopping cough but
four other illnesses are diphtheria, tetanus, (pertussis), polio, and Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b).

I think it was a good move to get the vaccine. Some times we over worry about vaccines, I didn't want to not get them then my baby get something like that.

I did refuse the flu jab as I've never had flu just the odd cold. In these circumstances I belive it's good for the body to fight colds and flus to build up immune system.

It's entirely up to you if you get the jab or not but I think it has so many benifts.

mummie2b1987 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:36:53

Hi tiggy I had the vaccine at 34 weeks , it was a no brainer for me - whooping cough has increased over the last few years in infants and I for one didn't want to take that risk of my little one getting it before her 8 week injections, are you in the uk? Because I thought It was just offered automatically here? If your not then here in the uk it is now advised due to the amount of cases in the last few years, I'm pro vaccination anyway so didn't really do a lot of research on it I was just told that I should have it do did! Hope someone comes along with some advice for you smile xxx

Mummytobe2014 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:45:54

I had mine at 28 weeks as prev poster says i didnt want to risk my lo getting it before his 8 week vaccines. I didnt research into it either,ive always been vacinated so am happy for my lo to have same protection. I also had flu jab but do every yr following a really bad two weeks of flu a few yrs ago but flu jab is jst for flu not colds etc smile

TheOnlySeven Mon 17-Feb-14 15:54:19

It's the same one they give to infants. I have a 9mo so I was one of the first to have the jab, no ill effects but it did ache for a few days. The risks are minimal, but babies sadly can and do die from whooping cough. If the worst happened from me not being vaccinated in pregnancy I'm not sure I could forgive myself tbh.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 17-Feb-14 16:00:49

The deaths from whooping cough occur mainly between birth and 8 weeks which is why it is most effective to vaccinate the mother, to enable placental transfer of antibodies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now