Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anomaly scan

(10 Posts)
mixi82 Mon 17-Feb-14 12:35:06

Hi all, got my anomaly scan tomorrow, I'll be 19wks then. I had a bleed last week and the following day got given Anti-D because my blood type is O- and you need to have one after a bleed according to MW. Was quite concerned but got to listen to baby heart beat and a few days since the Anti-D i've had no bleeding. So now I'm feeling much happier and even excited about the scan tomorrow, whereas before I was getting quite worked up.

Anyway, what exactly are they checking for at the scan? I know of course it's in the name but what sort of things will they be looking for specifically? Also, me and DP don't want to find out the sex and I'm a little worried I'll be able to tell, not the end of the world but would like a surprise come due day smile

SomethingOnce Mon 17-Feb-14 12:42:07

Anomaly scan from BabyCentre.

Tell them you don't want to know the sex and they will ask you to 'look away now' - I had this at both the 20- and 32-week scans.

MrsM2013 Mon 17-Feb-14 12:42:51

It's a top to toe examination of baby- so they measure head and tummy and length of the thigh bone. Look at the rain and measure some structures in there. Have a good look at baby's heart and stomach, and check there are 2 kidneys and a bladder. Look at spine. Will also look at placenta site to make sure not too low.
Tell the sonographer you don't want to know so they can warn you when they look at the bottom end! I had my eyes shut because I want the delivery day surprise too.
Am so glad you called it the anomaly scan- so many people refer to it as gender or sexing scan and that's the first thing they want to know- drives me mad!!

MrsM2013 Mon 17-Feb-14 12:43:37

Brain not rain!

LastOneDancing Mon 17-Feb-14 13:20:36

Just a note as well - sometimes sonographers are very quiet as they work and may take lots and lots of pictures. Please don't be scared, it's normal!

Ours took about 30 pictures of the babies heart - we were petrified she'd seen something, then she turned round after 10 minutes silence and said 'all fine'...!

Enjoy your scan smile

mixi82 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:38:03

Thanks for all the info ladies smile

Think my excitement is growing about tomorrow because this is my first baby and up until yesterday I'd been feeling little flick like movements for a week and wasn't entirely sure it was just wind, but today I had unmistakeable feelings of teeny tiny kicks, quite often and I could see them too which made me giggle lots haha smile So I'm very excited about seeing baby again tomorrow, even after last week's little scare

mixi82 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:05:39

Just thought I'd update. Everything went very well with the scan, everything where it should be and nothing to worry about smile they did spend a long time looking at the heart but she explained why after, looking for holes, correct plumbing and chambers.

One thing I did forget was to get my MAT B1, doh! How would I get that now?

AtrociousCircumstance Wed 19-Feb-14 20:46:59

From your usual midwife at the gps smile

Congrats!

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Feb-14 20:49:29

At your next mw. They aren't issued until at least 20 weeks usually.

SomethingOnce Wed 19-Feb-14 21:41:27

Glad all was well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now