Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When would you not travel?

(9 Posts)
Tt1803 Mon 17-Feb-14 11:28:39

I have been invited on the most lovely lovely sounding holiday to stay with friends (so wouldn't have to pay for accomodation!!). I will be 33 weeks pregnant. I know technically it is fine to fly then but will I just be miserable? It is to Spain in July so will be very hot and will have my DS to look after (so not exclusively relaxation). Will I be horribly uncomfortable and regret spending money on flights (am v strapped) or will I think thank god I got in a lovely holiday before baby number two (and also have a tan!)

Aaliyah1 Mon 17-Feb-14 11:55:52

Depends what you plan to do there I guess. I'm 32+5 at the moment and feel tired and groggy etc but if I was taking a short flight and was intending to lounge around a pool etc I'd probably go.
I think the travelling would be my main concern, can't sit for too long blush
Would be lovely to have a break away somewhere nice though!

ChicaMomma Mon 17-Feb-14 11:56:28

Ah to hell with it, go anyway!
I'm going to Spain (albeit in May so it wont be as hot) at 32 weeks and cant wait. If i'm too hot i'll sit in the shade- and really that would only be between 12 and 3... It's going to be so nice to have long lazy lunches and dips in and out of the pool. Plus the health system in Spain is fantastic (if anything does happen!)

In answer to your Q though- i would say 36 weeks is the line i'd draw (personally). Any 'early labours' i ever hear of tend to be 36-40 weeks, it's SO rare to hear of 30-36 really.

icklekid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:56:31

Ohh tricky, friends of mine went away for a nice sunny holiday before baby and they said that it wasn't as nice as they had hoped. The husband had a lovely time but my friend said she was just sat in the shade feeling uncomfortable...Was really nice to have got away though...we're going to Devon for a week when I'm about 33 weeks!

Rockchick1984 Mon 17-Feb-14 12:04:17

I would if I didn't have a toddler to look after, but if you're the only one watching your DS and there's anything like a pool there then you won't be able to relax and I think it would be very stressful!

eurochick Mon 17-Feb-14 12:51:04

I'd go I think, but make sure your travel insurance covers you!

imisssleepandwine Mon 17-Feb-14 15:49:58

I'd go! However in heat in late pregnancy can be a bit of a pain for some people but you don't often get these opportunities. Get good travel insurance and if you need to come home early do. Your friends will help with DC...

Misty9 Mon 17-Feb-14 19:31:41

Hmm, I'm flying to Spain this week at 33wks with toddler ds - but it's to my mums so I know she'll be able to do the bulk of childcare. If you can rely on your friends to entertain your toddler then maybe go...but tbh the heat would put me off too.

Travel insurance is very hard to get after 32wks - I found cheapinsurance.com cover you up to 36wks as a normal traveller, and apparently the post office do too smile your EHIC card will cover you for any emergency treatment related to pregnancy or birth too, so don't forget that.

As for flying in late pregnancy, I have just these past few days started to feel more uncomfortable and cumbersome but then I am the size of an elephant and can't say I'm relishing the thought of the flight!

vj32 Mon 17-Feb-14 20:54:23

Can you decide at the last minute. I wouldn't have been happy to fly at that point in either pregnancy but I know lots of people feel fine. Do you speak fluent Spanish or do one of your friends speak fluent Spanish to translate for you should you need any medical care out there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now