Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational diabetes- what do you eat?

(5 Posts)
Rosduk Mon 17-Feb-14 05:04:17

I was diagnosed with GD last week and was just wondering what you all eat- particularly snacks. My daughter has a severe nut allergy so can't have nuts in the house.

So far I'm having porridge with milk and cinnamon, a wrap with ham/cheese/salad for lunch and chicken/ sweet pot/veg for dinner so feeling unadventurous! I have been having oatcakes/hummus or satsuma/ham/cheese for snacks in between.

Thanks!

KalevalaForMePlease Mon 17-Feb-14 07:01:01

Hi OP I was diagnosed with GD about ten weeks ago, I found it is a bit trial and error at first, some things will react for you but not for others, that kind of thing.

I have three options for breakfast usually. Cup of tea, one slice of wholemeal toast with either a boiled egg or peanut butter, or porridge. Lunch can be homemade soup (pumpkin soup is really easy to make) or a sandwich or salad. Snacks can be tricky. Vita wheat crackers or cruskits with hummous or philly work for me, I can also have a Kellogg's Special K cereal bar as well. Cheese and crackers, fruit like an apple or some grapes. Dinner is quite plain, meat and veg, can have rice and pasta type meals but I have to measure everything out quite carefully.

I've only a week to go to due date and am looking forward to a big plate of fish and chips, or a big glass of orange juice! Constantly thinking about portion size, and timing when to eat stuff is really annoying. Good luck and remember it's not for ever!

KalevalaForMePlease Mon 17-Feb-14 07:02:48

Oh, if you do a search for GD threads on here, there's a really good one with meal ideas and things like that. I found it really useful at the start.

Rosduk Mon 17-Feb-14 08:45:43

Excellent thanks for you help and enjoy your baby ( and fish and chips!) I'm only 26 weeks so a long way to go yet!

mrscookie78 Mon 17-Feb-14 09:06:47

I had gd in my last pregnancy, are you on insulin or just diet control? Have a look at low gi foods online and the diabetes websites. It is all trial and error with foods as they all affect everyone differently. I found new potatoes, salads, salmon, ham and cheese salad sandwiches were good. Have a look at burgen soya and linseed breed. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now