Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

AAaaargh - the itching!!!

(24 Posts)
bigredtractor Sun 16-Feb-14 21:06:12

I'm 36 wks with DC2 and everything's itchy - its driving me crazy. Started with dry skin on my legs, then the itching moved to my armpits, then bump and now my boobs.

I'm trying so hard not to scratch it and using cooled E45 cream on myself but its horrid. Aaargh - has anyone had anything similar? Any good tips?

alwaysneedaholiday Sun 16-Feb-14 21:21:42

A friend of mine had this - she found cool baths helped.

I really think you should make an appointment with your GP or midwife tomorrow though, as it can be an indication of a condition that needs monitoring.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Scuttlebug Sun 16-Feb-14 21:22:32

I think you should speak to your midwife, isn't all over body itchy a sign of something else that needs to be dealt with? Sorry for being vague, I'm sure I've read about this, look on babycentre about itches, I'm sure it could be pre-eclympsia (sp?) I don't want to worry you but it's better to be checked out than not,

Someone less vague and more knowledgable might be along in a minute!

Boltonlass1972 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:23:47

Scuttlebug is right. Pre-eclampsia has itching as a symptom. Don't worry, but see midwife or gp tomorrow x

bigredtractor Sun 16-Feb-14 21:24:40

Ooh you've worried me now - assumed it was just my skin stretching (a lovely thought in itself) but will call the midwife team tomorrow

coffeeinbed Sun 16-Feb-14 21:25:04

Speak to the midwife. Ring up tomorrow.
It can be a sign for cholestasis, a liver condition.

It's probably nothing, but best to have it checked.

Flumpinblues Sun 16-Feb-14 21:25:13

Hi, didnt want to read and run.

Have you mentioned the itching to your midwife? Could be a sign of ICP in pregnancy. I don't want to scare you but please do mention it, a quick blood test can rule it out - www.icpsupport.org 9I was disgnosed at 34 weeks in my first pg with similar symptoms). It's manageable once diagnosed - currently 36 weeks with 2nd pg and all is well. The main treatment is a drug called Urso which reduces the itching.

In the meantime keeping cool and natural fibres might help. Also aqueous menthol cream from pharmacy. HTH

highlove Sun 16-Feb-14 21:26:49

The condition is obstetric choleostasis (sp?) and is a liver condition. It probably isn't that but you should definitely get it checked ASAP - always best to be on the safe side.

Princessdeb Sun 16-Feb-14 21:27:37

Dear OP,
Itching later in pregnancy can sometimes indicate a problem with the liver. You should call your midwife for advice. If you have any other symptoms such as dark urine or light coloured poo I would seek advice tonight. While it is unlikely to be anything serious it is always better to be safe than sorry. Good luck xx

rachyconks Sun 16-Feb-14 21:29:18

Yes obstetric choleostatis. You NEED to see your midwife ASAP or ring maternity. The condition is when your liver realises bile salts into your blood. You will probably need medication. It's not serious if you are being medicated and monitored, but can damage your organs if left untreated.

Flumpinblues Sun 16-Feb-14 22:12:36

Aboslutely agree with the other posters - ICP is the new term of Obstetric Choleostatis aka OC. Untreated it can cause problems for baby. But the good news - ICP is manageable, and disappears on delivery. So yes please do get yourself checked (other symptoms are very dark urine, lack of appetite as well as the itching). Good luck OP x

MummyPig24 Mon 17-Feb-14 07:29:54

My boobs have been really itchy all the way through this pregnancy, it drives me mad really.

I've just had a liver function test but for different reasons. Extreme itchiness ought to be checked out so make sure you tell your midwife.

Boltonlass1972 Mon 17-Feb-14 07:40:42

Bigredtractor, cholestasis is what I meant having read these now. Hope you manage to see mw today. Please update here and let us know how you got on x

alwaysneedaholiday Mon 17-Feb-14 15:03:22

bigredtractor how are you doing today? Any news? Hope all is ok.

strawberrypenguin Mon 17-Feb-14 15:16:26

I agree with everyone else do get checked out (if you haven't already) but it might just be end of pregnancy itchiness. I had the same thing and I was absolutely fine apart from being itchy! Went away after birth (or I was so distracted I didn't notice it anymore) I think it was skin being stretched and possibly hormone changes for me

bigredtractor Mon 17-Feb-14 21:43:22

Hello - I called the midwife no today and left a message but nobody called back. Will try GP surgery in the morning instead I think. Have been really thirsty too - have stopped googling symptoms though as that wasnt productive! !!

Plenty of movement today at least though, which is reassuring but I will get it checked over - promise!

minicc Mon 17-Feb-14 22:20:22

I had this with my first baby and managed to control it with eurax. It turns out I had PEPs. Got such severe itching at 16 weeks this time round I was referred to the dermatology unit who diagnosed me with eczema! E45 anti itch, eurax and a very mild steroid and I was back to normal with 48hrs. Not necessarily the same thing but worth going to the gp who can refer if need be,you don't have to suffer it silence!

bevbennett100 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:35:57

i found bio oil really helped. quite expensive, but worth it!

Rootvegetables Tue 18-Feb-14 08:43:27

I'd get checked out but I was really itchy with my first pregnancy, I forgot aqueous cream at work one day and was going crazy so I tried olive oil as it was there! It was brilliant and I used it for the rest of my pregnancy, quite messy though. Hope all is well.

TeaAndANatter Tue 18-Feb-14 15:09:28

I itched all the way through 2 and a bit pregnancies (on the last few weeks of 'the bit' now), and it was only general stretching itches rather than anything dodgy. Was sure it must be the start of death, as I wanted to itch my whole carcass off, but there you go. Best to get checked to be safe x

alwaysneedaholiday Tue 18-Feb-14 19:35:17

Any luck with an appointment today bigredtractor?

bigredtractor Tue 18-Feb-14 20:43:46

Saw the GP this afternoon - blood pressure is normal which is good, but I now also have giant swollen feet sigh.

I'm going back first thing tomorrow for a blood test to check my liver function, which is reassuring. Have cut my nails really short to try and stop myself from scratching!

Xavielli Tue 18-Feb-14 20:49:26

I am suffering from OC at the moment so you have my utmost sympathy! (Although I've still got 8 weeks left so I'm also slightly jealous!!)

Fingers crossed your LFTs come back normal and your itching fades thanks

alwaysneedaholiday Tue 18-Feb-14 21:21:16

Good luck for tomorrow - glad you are being looked after smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now