Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone shown very early and not had twins?

(23 Posts)
TheOnlySeven Sun 16-Feb-14 18:58:25

Please reassure me. This is DC4, I'm 11 weeks but look and feel 5-6 months. My bump is hard too not just flabby blush. I've not shown early with my other 3 despite being a similar weight. I've got my scan on Weds so I'll find out then but please stop me worrying in the meantime!

RaRa1988 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:37:54

Feel free to ignore me as I haven't even had my first yet and so I know nothing compared to you! - but I thought you tended to show earlier with each subsequent baby due to increasingly destroyed ab muscles? Could just be that! Or perhaps you are more bloated/constipated/have more trapped wind this time around?

Seff Mon 17-Feb-14 08:33:50

I'm on DC2 and it was as if my bump appeared as soon as baby implanted itself. I was convinced there was two in there but there is just one. Bump growth has levelled out as time went on.

StarsInTheNightSky Mon 17-Feb-14 09:04:24

This for us is not first pregnancy but will be first DC and I've apparently got a big bump but only one in there, albeit one who has consistently measured big.
I'm now 25 + 1 and keep getting asked when I'm going to be induced as "it's not good to be that overdue" and my mum keeps telling me my bump is bigger now than hers on the day she had me, and from the photos she looked pretty huge shock. We had a trip to the delivery suite yesterday as the little man stopped moving for 12 hours (was just being awkward) and the student midwife who we've not met before wouldn't believe I was 25 weeks, and kept asking if I meant 35, and then kept asking if I was absolutely sure of my dates, luckilly a familiar midwife came and told her I wasn't lying grin.

My bump started showing early, about 8-9 weeks (def bump not bloat, confirmed by consultant), and by 12 weeks the consultant said I had a bigger bump than most of the ladies who were 20-25 weeks. He seems to find it hilarious hmm he very good really though so I can't complain.

DH was convinced it was twins/triplets before first scan, but nope, definitely only the one. I am quite tall and pre-pregnancy was pretty slim and toned (5'9 and a size 10) and all the midvives (complicated pregnancy so getting very familiar with the hospital midwives, although so an not to worry you there's absolutely nothing wrong with the little man, just with me) keep saying how strong my stomach muscles are, so not sure if this has made a difference?
I've also had bad hyperemesis and as a result haven't put on any weight yet, so I think that perhaps makes the bump look bigger in relation to me, could this be the case with you?

Oh, just remembered, I was also told that my uterus sits unusually high in my torso (although was told this by a v. useless sonographer, so not sure if that's right as never heard it before), so perhaps this is a factor too.

OneMoreThenNoMore Mon 17-Feb-14 09:09:43

I seemed to start showing immediately with dc2, and I was enormous. People often asked if I was having twins. There was definitely only one in there though. I think lots of people show earlier and get bigger in subsequent pregnancies. Don't panic smile

OneMoreThenNoMore Mon 17-Feb-14 09:11:40

Forgot to add- I was actually in maternity clothes by about 9 or 10 weeks with dc2- before we'd even told people that I was pregnant shock

Showy Mon 17-Feb-14 09:17:19

I showed very early as I'm short. My abdomen is particularly short. There was nowhere for the bump to go but out. I wasn't so worried early on, was just obviously pregnant from about 8/9 weeks. From 14 weeks you could see the babies squirming around from outside. I was more worried as I got to full term as the babies ran out of room and due to a problem with my pelvis, couldn't descend to give them more room. So my waters broke out of the blue both times, slightly too early.

So no, a prominent early bump was nothing to do with multiples for me. More to do with how short my body is.

DawnOfTheDee Mon 17-Feb-14 09:19:14

I've shown early (and big!) with both of my pregnancies. No twins but I did have 2 big babies (9lb 5oz and 10lb 10oz).....

TheOnlySeven Mon 17-Feb-14 09:30:57

Phew, thanks. I know you do tend to show earlier in subsequent pregnancies but it wasn't like this at all with DC3. I'm wearing maternity jeans already, and I am noticeably pregnant-looking.

startwig1982 Mon 17-Feb-14 09:38:39

I'm 15 weeks with dc2 and look (I think) huge. Much bigger than with ds and I've been in maternity clothes for at least 6 weeks now!

TwoThreeFourSix Mon 17-Feb-14 09:45:11

Currently 6 months with DS2 (definitely not a twin)

Started showing around 8 weeks, and was immediately into maternity trousers for comfort (and cos it made hiding the bump easier)

I work with very unobservant people though as I successfully hid the enormous bump until past 4 months.

Finding all the comments quite depressing though. With DS1 I had a small, tidy bump. This one is just big and awkward.

redspottydress Mon 17-Feb-14 09:54:49

I was noticeably pregnant at 9 weeks and it was twins, twins are lovely!

redspottydress Mon 17-Feb-14 09:56:34

Sorry I know that's not what you were wanting to hear but it us a possibility, so it might be better to embrace it before Wednesday. Twin shock is very real!

TheOnlySeven Mon 17-Feb-14 10:26:48

I know they are spotty, I'd have been really pleased to have twins in any of my other 3 pregnancies, I'm just terrified by the prospect of 5 children, especially as this one was unplanned.

Brodicea Mon 17-Feb-14 10:48:53

I showed from about 9 weeks and it's my first - she is on the large side (was recently referred for an extra scan as I was measuring large) and I have an anterior placenta. I have wondered if the latter reason is a main reason for showing…

I am very sick of people asking me if it's twins!

hazeldawn Mon 17-Feb-14 17:37:04

I'm 11wks & showing this of no 3 for me no 2 shouted early but didn't appear to me to grow any after that for a few months guess the muscles Judy knew there was no point fighting & so gave in this time I'm not bothered lovely guy at the supermarket ported to push my trolley to the car for me & put the shopping in the boot for me so making the most of it. We've had a scan as midwife was sure I was further than I am so know there is only one in there I was slightly convened it could have been 2 but sonographer was sure its only 1

GoldenDaffodil Mon 17-Feb-14 19:09:47

I'm 9.5 weeks with DC2 and already look about 5 months gone. I wore maternity trousers to work today and I know my friends have guessed I'm pg as they keep looking at the bump. I'm also scared it's twins as I don't know how I'd cope but I think it's most likely caused by weakened tummy muscles from DD1.

hubbahubster Mon 17-Feb-14 19:31:01

I've showed from about 9/10 weeks with this one (DC2) and was very scared at the prospect of twins (twins in DH's family) but there's only one. I was v glad to get Ito maternity trousers at 12 weeks...

slightlyinsane Mon 17-Feb-14 20:28:14

With ds 3 I showed early and had to wear maternity trousers at 10 wks. This time my bump started showing from about 6 wks, those that new I was preg all joined in joking it was twins. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but I had the twin shock at my 12 wk scan. Now at 23wks with 4&5 I'm slowly getting used to the idea and it's not the idea of 5 kids that's freaking me out it's some of the logistics of 2 babies. 5 is a scary thought but all the scans and extra appointments are helping me come to terms with it. I don't want to frighten you just wanted you to know there is someone out there that was in your position 11 wks ago and it's not all that bad. Good luck with your scan

CrispyFB Mon 17-Feb-14 20:37:32

I looked huge (also DC4) around where you were.. it was just bloat, and from the start of the second trimester I went back to being able to hide bump again until it became a "real" one at 20+ weeks!

All singletons.

CrispyFB Mon 17-Feb-14 20:37:51

Forgot to add, I was in some maternity stuff at 7 weeks this time, I felt like such a fraud!

TheOnlySeven Tue 18-Feb-14 16:23:26

Thanks all for sharing, good to know there's more of you with singletons than having twins smile

I'll let you all know how many are in there tomorrow.

TheOnlySeven Wed 19-Feb-14 21:10:08

There's only one. I've also had my dates put back so I'm only actually 10 weeks, I must just have very slack abs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now