Talk

Advanced search

Humiliating Post... But advice needed vulvar varicose

(8 Posts)
HannahG315 Sun 16-Feb-14 07:14:55

Soooooo, I have vulvar varicose veins hmm... don't google it you'll

HannahG315 Sun 16-Feb-14 07:18:01

Hadn't finished writing that!!

Basically I need to buy super supportive underwear for my undercarriage... Does this mean spanks pants or just any Lycra big knickers??

Dashing to shops first thing in the morning so any directions as to shops and products would be REALLY appreciated.

Trying to avoid c-section sad

Pendulum Sun 16-Feb-14 07:24:57

Hi, I had this. Nobody said anything about special knickers so I can't help in that department, although I did wear support tights quite a bit.

Not sure that there is any connection with c-section either? My HCPs told was pretty common (I did have csection in the end but for different reasons). Check whether you are googling US sites where they do c-sections for many more reasons than the UK!

They went down after the baby was born although I do still have some niggles today. It's really painful I know. Try not to stand up for too long and take paracetamol.

Mummyk1982 Sun 16-Feb-14 07:56:33

Hi,
I have horrific vulval varicies- caurrebtly 35+4. Midwives kept telling me that they were big but nothing could be done and even support pants would be too tight on bump.
Anyway, lady Monday they statted to really hurt so saw gp as was worried about clot, gp sentence straight to obstetrician as he didn't think veins that big should be overlooked. So glad I saw obstetrician cos he examined outside ones and then checked just inside my bits abd basically the blood flow to the area where I would potentially tear/ need an episiotomy is very heavily vascularised (ie has a much larger blood flow than normal) to the extent that it's turned dark purple like veins would, and as such should I tear or need episiotomy I'll end up having quite a large haemorrhage. For that reason I'm no longer allowed a home birth or the birth in water (though I can labour in water). Though I can have vaginal delivery, just everyone aware and at the ready if I bleed!

So my advice:

Lay/sleep on left- helps venous drainage
If veins ache apply a warm compress and rest for a bit
If veins becoming bigger make sure someone checks them out
If veins run backward towards your bit/ bum have doctor check just inside for any (a midwife checked me literally 6 days before the doctor- admittedly for thrush, but overlooked the major purple discolouration)
I find close fitting jeans provide some support
If the veins become hard that you can't push them in and then they refill with blood when you let them go its a sign of a blood clot.

Hope this info is helpful to you!!

Mummyk1982 Sun 16-Feb-14 07:57:39

Sorry- just seen so many typos in that post- damn phone and predictive text! Hopefully you get the gist of it!!!

Applesauce29 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:14:29

I'm only 16 weeks but already suffering with varicose veins in my legs. I ordered some compression tights and hold ups from pebbleuk.com and they also sent a catalogue which has some pregnancy support shorts and pants for varicose vulva. They're online service is really good, but I'd call and ask for advice- the lady I spoke to was really lovely.

HannahG315 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:51:15

Thanks everyone!

Mummyk- going to try these, want to get the swelling down!! hate to give TMI, buts its a big purple one protruding from inside that's the problem confused so the fear again is haemorrhage.

Got GP Monday- that's going to be fun.

Really wanted a water birth!

Mummyk1982 Sun 16-Feb-14 10:00:43

I can sympathise HannahG, totally heartbroken when told not at home and not in water- but obstetrician was lovely and compromised with delivery in birthing unit if midwives on the day agree, labour in the pool, but birth on dry land. It's better than not using the pool at all. And, it would be so traumatic for me and hubby to have a big bleed at home and not be able to control immediately- and would totally mess up those preschools first few hrs with little one. So all in all better to be safe :-) and the obstetrician reassured me that the veins will go down after delivery- they are predominantly there because of hormones and increased blood flow, not necessarily due to baby being there and putting pressure on (as I was worried that with baby's increasing weight over upcoming weeks the risks of bleeding would be greater).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now