Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone used ultrasound direct for an early scan?

(8 Posts)
EmilyJane86 Sun 16-Feb-14 05:02:49

Hi, I had an early scan today using ultrasound direct. I'm only about 7 weeks and 6 days pregnant so was expecting an internal scan but they just did an external scan of my belly. Obviously you couldn't see much which I expected but we did see a heart beat. I asked if she could tell us the rate of the heartbeat but she said that they don't tell people's that cause it worries them. Has anyone had a similar experience. I wondered if maybe you could only get such a detailed reading with the internal scan. I don't understand why she did not do this, then I started panicking thinking maybe the beat was too slow or something and that's why she wouldn't tell us. Also baby measured about a week smaller than we hadn't expected. She told me it was hard to measure it as the yolk sack was right on the little baby. Any advice or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated

Roshbegosh Sun 16-Feb-14 05:15:41

This is why the NHS doesn't routinely scan at this stage. It is only useful to confirm a pregnancy and give an indication of the dates.

Owlysims Sun 16-Feb-14 08:59:25

I had an early scan at 8 weeks and the lady didn't listen to the heart beat just said it was nice and fast but at this stage they don't listen or play it to you.

I was measuring bang on dates so can't help with that one but think it's normal. BUT the early scans did put me a week behind on eventual 12 week scan dates, so you may not even be behind.

Try not to worry and good luck thanksthanks

Martorana Sun 16-Feb-14 09:02:25

Honestly, that's why the NhS don't do routine scans until 12 weeks. Try not to worry- easier said than done, I know.

Flixy102 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:16:13

I had an early scan at ultrasound direct when I was 7+3. It was an external scan but the lady did say if she couldn't see anything she'd do an internal. All we could literally see was much like what you described, a blob and a flickering heartbeat. To be honest I think that's the best you can expect to see at this stage-a heartbeat is great news! smile

miki123 Sun 16-Feb-14 10:33:53

I had an early scan at 7 weeks and wasn't given the heartbeat rate, just told that a beating heart was a very good sign…I was also told that the baby measured about a week smaller than we had calculated however at the 12 week scan was told that my initial calculation was correct (i.e. we were a week further on than we were told at 7 weeks) - try not to worry, it all sounds very positive for you so far! :-)

kjh5 Sun 16-Feb-14 12:21:58

EmilyJane I had a similar experience, first of all the external scans are not as accurate as the internal scan and its hard to date at that stage so I would take the measurement they have given you with a pinch of salt.

I had a scan with the same company at 7+6 - we booked it in when we found out I was pregnant due to a previous MC and I just wanted some reassurance that everything was ok. However I had some bleeding at 7+2 and was given an internal scan on the NHS at our local EPU. The internal scan showed so much more detail, we could see the heartbeat (they wouldn't tell me what the rate was either) and I was dated at bang on 7+2. As we had already paid for the Ultrasound Direct scan we went along to it 4 days later when I should have measured 7+6. However the scan was external and although we could see the heartbeat, she wouldn't tell me what the rate was just that we had seen one which was an excellent sign. She also told me I measured 7weeks which was 6 days behind.

The only dating scan that matters is the 12week one, by that stage the foetus us developed enough for them to give you an accurate date. Early scans are really only good for showing you have a viable pregnancy. Congratulations! Your little bean has a heartbeat and is in the right place so its all good news smile

BEEwitched Sun 16-Feb-14 13:38:09

My scan was at my booking appointment at 8 weeks and the hospital just confirmed that there was a wee heartbeat, but didn't take measurements or anything else. (no 12 week scan here)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now