Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy, pneumonia and a newborn

(5 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfSocks Sat 15-Feb-14 14:53:55

I'm 38 + 2. I've got hypertension, and I'm booked in for an induction on Tuesday.

Today I've just found out my lovely MIL has got pneumonia. She will hopefully be ok, she is being treated at home so fx it's not serious.

I've just been reading up, and I have read it can be contagious.

Now, I can easily avoid her until baby is born, but I am concerned about when my baby arrives. I don't want to keep her away from the baby unless it really is dangerous.

Are my concerns correct?

TheOnlySeven Sat 15-Feb-14 15:48:34

No idea, where have you read it? I'd check the NHS website, if you're still unsure ask your MW

AlwaysDancing1234 Sat 15-Feb-14 17:03:52

Our DS had pneumonia a couple of years ago, the doctor explained that the contagious period for pneumonia can in theory last about two weeks. So maybe for another week from now as incubation is a few days. During the contagious period people with the infection can pass their germs to others but in most cases that person will get a common cold rather than 'catch' pneumonia if you see what I mean. Your MIL may feel unwell from the pneumonia for weeks or even months but is only really infectious for 2 weeks. Hope that your MIL gets well soon and good luck for induction.
Best thing to do is check with your GP/midwife who could advise on your particular case.

arabellarubberplant Sat 15-Feb-14 17:10:40

Ds1 got pneumonia from the rsv virus as a newborn and was pretty poorly (just from being around other babies and toddlers). Tbh, anyone with a cold is just as 'dangerous' as someone with pneumonia - and it isn't great to have a newborn around anyone with this sort of symptom as a result. It's easy enough to translate to a chest infection/ pneumonia in a tiny, or for the baby to just get a cold.

You don't need to have any additional precautions around mil that you wouldn't have for anyone else who was suffering from a cold - but chances are she'll be in rude health soon enough. Chest infections are chest infections. If she's on antibiotics they should kick in pretty quickly and clear it up easily enough.

Tinies in this position often don't handle it so well (everything is so much smaller!) and so they end up with hospital treatment more often.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Sat 15-Feb-14 17:34:03

It was the NHS website I checked. It wasn't too clear really.

I'm not sure if MIL would have asked about being contagious around a baby, just someone who is pg IYSWIM?

I'm with the midwife on Monday, so I'll see what she says.

Thanks for the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now