Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain relief gels safe to use in pregnancy?

(4 Posts)
PervyMuskrat Sat 15-Feb-14 10:11:02

I've done something incredibly painful to my shoulder which means I'm struggling to move my shoulder and my neck without being in agony.

I've tried ice packs, heat packs and paracetamol but nothing's really touching the pain. Are any pain relief gels or lotions safe to use in the 2nd trimester? Googling seems to produce a mixed bag of results confused

Tips on how to manage the pain would also be appreciated!

Mogz Sat 15-Feb-14 10:34:22

Unless it says its safe on the packet you should consult a doctor, midwife or pharmacist for advice.
Have you tried having a bath or keeping a warm towel or wheat pack on the area? I find the gentle heat does ease things after about a half hour when I have neck problems. Other than that take it easy and try some very gentle movements.
Hope you recover quickly.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Feb-14 10:38:47

I would say no as they're normally ibuprofen based.

You could see a DR/out of hours for stronger codeine based medication.

PervyMuskrat Sat 15-Feb-14 10:56:25

Thanks. I've tried the wheat pack last night and it felt nice but didn't do much in terms of pain. Will have a shower later and see if standing under hot water helps.

Reluctant to speak to out of hours as it seems pretty convoluted here to actually get to see someone who can prescribe medication so hoping I can hold on until Monday. Codeine may help with the muscle pain but tends to give me headaches and constipation (which is not something I want to add to my list of pregnancy woes grin)

Currently lying on the sofa with cushions supporting the sore bits and eating nice chocolates, which I believe is a well known solution to any pain grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now