Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please help me find something to wear!

(9 Posts)
RaRa1988 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:04:17

After a really demoralising shopping trip yesterday, I need some help! Where on earth can I get maternity dresses and jeans that are:

Size 8
NOT dowdy! - Anyone else noticed some of the maternity dress styles are horrendously old? I'm 25, not 75!
Suitable for petite people (5ft3)

It seems to be a lot more difficult than I would've thought, especially as I'm not made of money. HELP?!

PuppyMummy Sat 15-Feb-14 08:20:21

I have some nice dresses for work from debenhams (instore) and new look (online) none were massively expensive and I think quite modern!
im 33 and size 10, I would presume they would all work for size 8

Hezbean Sat 15-Feb-14 08:34:54

Asos.com! They've got a sale on at the moment and do some really nice bits. And you don't need to leave the house :-)

Agreed that loads of the stuff in the shops is very dowdy.
I also bought some jeans and a skirt from topshop - not very many stores stock the range but you can buy online.

K8eee Sat 15-Feb-14 10:15:35

Another new look shopper here! Online is best but take it back to there store as they charge you to return. I tend to buy a shed load of stuff to try on as I only want to pay one lot of delivery and then return it to the girls in the shops (last time I got the dirtiest look hmm grin) they have a few bits in store but mostly jeans and 'hands off my bump' tops which I can't stand hmmconfused

OneMoreCupOfTea Sat 15-Feb-14 10:27:05

I'm a similar height and size and did struggle to find any decent maternity wear which was still flattering. I got really comfortable over the bump skinny jeans from h&m and some decent shirts from work as well. Topshop has some good stuff online and also new look. Asos has a really good selection of dresses and tops.

Beccadugs Sat 15-Feb-14 10:47:11

Mamas and papas sell through eBay and have some nice tunics and things that aren't too dowdy. Jojo maman bebe also have more fashionable stuff too (all a bit more pricey though!)

I am a similar age & shape/size to you OP and found H&M, new look and red herring at debenhams the best for the kind of things I'm looking for. (Jeans & tops/knitwear mostly as my work dress code is super casual)
New look stuff is quite good value and they do different leg lengths in the jeans/trousers.
I liked the fit of the H&M jeans best as I have very slim thighs which make most jeans that fit round the waist look stupidly baggy on me, though they only come in one leg length which is ridiculously long! I have kept one pair and shortened them as couldn't find any others to fit properly on the thighs.

Red herring I found was best for dresses, but depends what style you want, theirs are more casual I think.

Will be following this thread with interest for some other ideas of where to look!

theborrower Sat 15-Feb-14 11:17:14

I got some New Look jeans on eBay, short length, and they're great (I'm 5'1", size 10).

I've just bought a bunch of t shirts from Next on eBay, and they're awful - like tents! I'll be putting them back on. I've found that tops that have ruching on the sides are much more flattering for a smaller frame.

Haven't spotted any dresses yet, but then I have such bother finding dresses normally that I haven't really looked.

Rockchick1984 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:00:27

I just bought non pregnancy empire line tea dresses and wore normally at first, then with leggings or jeans when bump got bigger and they started to look too short! Primark for cheap tshirts and vests (I'm 38 weeks and they are still long enough!) the only thing I bought that was specifically maternity was jeans smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now