Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation

(24 Posts)
KatieBurningham Fri 14-Feb-14 19:24:01

Hi all, I'm 16 weeks and am suffering. Not all the time, but when it's bad, it's bad!
Anybody know of anything safe to take that I can purchase in a chemist? Everything I've looked at on boots website says don't take if pregnant or consult your doctor before. Ideally I'd like to get something tomorrow and obviously doctors isn't open, also it's a nuisance to get an appointment at my doctors, you have to call at 8am, appointments are usually gone by 8.05am!
TIA

SellyMevs Fri 14-Feb-14 19:35:34

I've found fybogel the best and you can buy it over the counter in a pharmacy. It's a bit gentler than some other laxatives and just taking one or two a day will help keep you regular!

stressbucket1 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:38:33

Prune juice is good for constipation!

WishUponAStar88 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:43:51

Prune juice worked incredibly well for me a couple off weeks ago. It looks and tastes vile, but after an hour or two had worked it's magic. I drank 500mls - wouldn't recommend more initially as there was quite a dramatic response!

KatieBurningham Fri 14-Feb-14 20:30:12

Thanks all. Will purchase some fybogel and prune juice tomorrow and try my hardest to drink it smile

purplemurple1 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:32:59

Crushed flax seed is good too (try the baking area) 1 desert spoon a day on your cereal. And drink lots of water throughout the day.

Imnotsurehowtogetthisout Fri 14-Feb-14 20:36:19

Lactulose!!

purplemurple1 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:36:26

Also it doesn't taste of anything so easy to take every day.

K8eee Fri 14-Feb-14 20:56:15

5 dried apricots & dried prunes on yoghurt if you can't stomach them on their own, with a glass of water has helped me immensely! I'm on iron tablets and have piles hmm just bought some arse cream to shrink the little bastards grin (excuse my language!)

Toothygrin Sat 15-Feb-14 07:42:42

All Bran (I think it's that one - you're looking for the little sticks of bran) mixed with your usual cereal. I was able to stop mainlining Lactulose when I started on All Bran. Also fresh fruit juice with breakfast. I swear by Copella Apple and Pear.

I'm 17 weeks now and haven't struggled since the early weeks. I had awful trouble with my last pregnancy and found Fybogel too awful.

weebairn Sat 15-Feb-14 07:45:06

You can have lactulose.

Other things that are helpful - lots of fluids, prunes, exercise (I can often poo after a nice brisk walk)

I get up early and give myself uninterrupted toilet time !! Just sit on the toilet and breathe deeply and slowly for a good 5 mins. Sounds nuts but seems to work. I do it before my daughter wakes up and hassles me!

weebairn Sat 15-Feb-14 07:45:26

I'm 8 weeks. I had horrible constipation last time, I didn't even poo during labour!

weebairn Sat 15-Feb-14 07:46:04

Try to avoid straining or you might get the dreaded piles. Breathing and relaxing!!

JustDanni Sat 15-Feb-14 08:07:42

I struggle with the same issue.
5 days running now.
I have been snacking on dried apricots. High in fibre and easy to store in lunch box for work.
Seems to be getting things moving again.
I try to keep it as natural as possible as im on anti sickness meds too and dont want to take too much.

Drink plenty of water and start your day with a bowl of fruit and fibre and a glass of dreah fruit juice.

JustDanni Sat 15-Feb-14 08:08:16

lol fresh
not dreah

Stockhausen Sat 15-Feb-14 08:10:31

Once you get going again, eat weetabix every morning to keep things moving. Drink plenty water too & get some exercise ideally walking

Aoifebelle Sat 15-Feb-14 08:13:26

Prevention is better than cure. I have 1 or 2 activia prune youghurts every day and bran cereal for brekkie. Seems to be doing the trick.

theborrower Sat 15-Feb-14 08:41:18

God yes, been having this problem recently, got some lactulose from the doctor which got things moving again.

Where is everyone buying their prune juice? I've not seen it in the supermarket or am I just in the wrong shop/aisle?

I've got IBS and usually had the, err, other problem, so it's weird.

theborrower Sat 15-Feb-14 08:42:50

Oh, a question about lactulose for those who have taken it - how long do you take it for? Just for a few days until you've had the desired effect?

firstbaby01 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:25:07

The only thing that worked for me was activia yoghurt. four of those one evening and the next day I did the biggest poo ever! (sorry way tmi!) I have been having one a day since and have not had any more trouble and they are yummy to eat which is.an added bonus grin

AJH2007 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:45:22

Add linseed to porridge/weetabix etc, sprinkle it on salads too.

pollypocket31 Sat 15-Feb-14 11:55:15

Prune juice on an empty stomach. Its literally amazing!

RaRa1988 Sat 15-Feb-14 14:03:23

Drink as much acidic fruit juice (orange/grapefruit is ideal) as you can, eat lots of fruit, and get plenty of cardiovascular exercise. Doing that has worked better for me than any of the things the doctor gives you - and is no doubt better for you too!

Are you taking a pregnancy multivit? The iron can cause constipation. I've been on iron before (years ago, well before pg) and was fine with it, but I've found that taking it with a sluggish pregnant digestive system causes me problems. I've stopped taking it now - though I am 23+2 and I don't think it's recommended that you stop taking it before about 13 weeks.

HahaHarrie Sat 15-Feb-14 14:09:32

I know your pain! Flax seed, loads of water, fruit, exercise and if all else fails a glycerin suppository!! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now