Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweep...

(7 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:09:20

What does a sweep feel like? Smear tests have never bothered me, but internal exams when I was in labour last time were utter agony. Debating if I should ask for a sweep when I see the midwife on Monday, but I know they aren't hugely successful so don't want to inflict myself with unnecessary pain!

weebigmamma Fri 14-Feb-14 13:44:20

I found it quite sore but not unbearable and it was pretty quick. However, it had zero effect on the delivery which had to be induced a few days later. This time I'm having a section so won't have one but I don't know if I'd bother with it again. Everyone's different though and I know that once I got to the due date stage the last time I was really impatient for the birth to happen so would have tried anything :-)

Xavielli Fri 14-Feb-14 17:48:27

I found it the same as a VE, which bribe never found painful. I did niggle all night afterwards and had baby the next day smile

harry78 Fri 14-Feb-14 17:50:45

I found the first one quite uncomfortable. I had a second a few days later which wasn't too bad and baby came that night (following a good curry too!), mind you I was eight days late...

Pinkbell123 Fri 14-Feb-14 18:28:42

I had one on Monday and one a week before. Wasn't painful but quite uncomfortable and had cramps and some bleeding afterwards.

However it's didn't do much good, this this week's has sent me into a kind of pre-labour with Braxton hicks all day (some painful) and period like pains at night. I don't seem to have what it takes to go into full labour at the mo so will prob end up making my induction on Monday confused

Hope you get lucky with it though.

PastaandCheese Fri 14-Feb-14 18:33:24

I found it uncomfortable but not quite enough to say painful. No pain afterwards.

I went into labour within 36 hours. Was 2cm dilated at the sweep so I would have gone anyway but suspect it sped it up.

I will have another this time if I go over.

GreatSoprendo Fri 14-Feb-14 18:45:50

I had a midwife one and barely felt it.

I then had another from a consultant, who said to me 'I warn you, when I do a sweep I do it properly'. She got a nurse to come in and hold my hand. It was agony. But it worked. Id definitely do it again - short lived pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now