Talk

Advanced search

Mad to go on a work trip when seven months preg?

(13 Posts)
Ber2291 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:36:16

Would I be crazy to go on a work trip (long haul) when seven plus months pregnant? It is an event so I would technically be working but I would still have to be permanently 'on'. And in US so time difference, jet lag etc. keen to go as it will be a lot of fun and also reasonably importyant to my career Worried that I would just be so exhausted the whole time and be miserable.

I travelled long haul about six months into first pregnancy which was fine but that was a super duper relaxation holiday.

(making life sound much more glamorous than it is!)

So any advice? Stupid idea or maybe not so bad?

SweetPea86 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:40:48

Erm if it was me I wouldn't be able to but I'm nearly 8 months and still throwing up.

If you feel physically fine go for it. Do you have to notify your midwife or GP if your flying in third trimester I might be totally wrong lol

If your up for it go for it, problem with pregnancy is that it consumes you, nice to get away even if it is work and just be you.

You do sound like your have a fab LA lifestyle. I'm currently sat in my dressing gown stuffing my face full of cold haha grin

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 13-Feb-14 16:42:59

Are you sure you can fly transatlantic at that stage?

And can work get you super-duper-all-covering insurance that insures you, and separately the baby (check that bit, it's very important) if anything were to happen over there?

JabberJabberJay Thu 13-Feb-14 16:43:20

Would you even be allowed to fly? For some airlines the cut off is 28 weeks but it varies from carrier to carrier. I'd check if I were you!

JabberJabberJay Thu 13-Feb-14 16:44:54

Yes that's another good point. Giving birth in the US is very expensive. Would you be covered if the baby came early and needed NICU care?

CaipirinhasAllRound Thu 13-Feb-14 16:46:34

I'm 7 months and have just got home from a meeting in London. I am now sitting in bed working as I'm knackered!

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Thu 13-Feb-14 16:50:23

I was faced with the same dilemma. It was for a team build rather than doing real work delivery. I ended up saying no, even after they said I could go business class. I remember sitting at my desk while everyone else was away thinking how glad I was I hadn't gone.

If it had been 'real' work, I would have sucked it up and gone, I've done crazier things for work, but for bit of a jolly I thought nah.........

Misty9 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:16:05

I'm flying to Spain next week when I'll be 33wks, alone with my toddler, but I wouldn't do a long haul at this stage tbh. Most airlines are happy to fly you until 34/35wks with a fit to fly certificate (which you will be charged for, beware) in an uncomplicated pregnancy.

Depends how important to your career it would be... And how far along are you now? It's so hard to tell how you'll feel in the later stages as so much depends on things like SPD, anaemia, sickness etc.

Oh, and yes getting insurance is a nightmare past 32wks! To save you some time, I found a couple of companies who'll do it up to 36wks - cheapinsurance.com (who I went with), Ravenhallgroup.com and apparently the Post Office (though I didn't check specifics).

weebigmamma Thu 13-Feb-14 17:17:41

I have a great career opportunity trip in 2 weeks time and I'm not going (I'd be 33 weeks by then) because I just feel increasingly knackered and have been put on meds for high BP. I'd be really annoyed if I developed pre eclampsia when I was away so that made the decision for me, but I was in two minds about it anyway. I have basically decided to wind down socially from about now. I'm really bummed to be missing it but for me it's the right decision so I'm trying to be philosophical about it.

BluegrassLass Thu 13-Feb-14 17:46:10

As an American living here in the UK, I completely agree with making sure you have excellent medical coverage in place for you and the baby if you have to give birth there. And make sure the airline will even allow you to fly there and back. I think most American based airlines can be very particular about this.

FlipFantasia Thu 13-Feb-14 18:48:32

I'm also living in the US and wouldn't recommend it.

The 'easy' concerns:

You may feel massive and the flight may be uncomfortable (even business class wouldn't have been comfy for me at 7 months plus!).

Jet lag will be a pain.

It's a huge amount of hassle for an event you may not even properly enjoy (it's not like you can drink the free booze and let your hair down during the evening!).

The 'horrible' concerns:

What if something happens? Eg your blood pressure shoots up while you're in the states and you're not allowed to fly back? You have to wait to give birth in a foreign country (which has a ridiculously complicated and expensive insurance system). What happens to your dp and older DC?

Or, worst case scenario, you go into prem labour and give birth in the us. Which would be both scary (you'd get great care, but giving birth prem anywhere would be scary) and potentially expensive (super insurance for you and the unborn baby are essential). There's also the hassle factor of getting the baby back to the uk (arranging passport through embassy, most airlines don't allow infants under 2 weeks).

I'm a cautious soul though! When I lived in London I didn't even really like my tube commute much by 7 months pregnant grin

BluegrassLass Thu 13-Feb-14 21:06:42

FlipFantasia, you forgot to mention another great reason you don't want to give birth in the US. OP, your baby would automatically have US citizenship at birth - depending on how you look at that, it might be a good thing, or it can open up a whole lot of problems. Most esp in regards to taxes - as the US taxes their citizens on world-wide income. So 18years on, your child gets a job in the UK and technically he/she has to report that income to the US. Only way around it is for the child to renounce citizenship.

FlipFantasia Thu 13-Feb-14 21:19:25

Bluegrasslass ah the taxes thing! A very good point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now