Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I try eating a hot curry in a bath of clary sage whilst having sex? (sort of lighthearted)

(32 Posts)
LemonDrizzleCake11 Thu 13-Feb-14 15:27:51

I think the subject line probably declares my issue for those 'in the know': I am once again overdue.

Yes, yes, I know estimated delivery dates are just that, estimates, but the rest of my extended social/family sphere seem unwilling to accept that and quite frankly if one more person who would not usually pry into my personal life enquires whether I've been having sex I may have to... well, do something mean. But due to lack of sleep of late I can't think of an appropriate meaness.

Also, my last baby was forced out by induction the size of an average 3 month old looking, in the words of the midwife, a 'trifle overcooked'. Am therefore delighted that the team looking after me this time are equally unconcerned at leaving nature to take its course.

Sorry for the rant, any words of calming wisdom gratefully received. As long as they do not include suggestions to have sex/eat curry/exhaust myself on long walks.

ChicaMomma Thu 13-Feb-14 16:22:53

TMI ALERT, My sister swears that repeated masturbation helped her along last time.. seems like an OK way to spend your last few days and physically less demanding than repeated sex, which you just wouldnt be fit for at this state i'd imagine!!

Mim78 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:30:37

Will they not induce you based on size of last baby? I think some hospitals will on basis they are better off not getting too big. How big was the last one? Was eventual induction easy for you?

LemonDrizzleCake11 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:59:57

Chica - although a more attractive option at present than sex I'm still not sure I'd have the energy!

Mim - first baby was 4.5kg, growth scan suggests this one to be about the same - but the hospital are not concerned on the basis that my pelvis managed that one ok! Not sure I'm quite so blase about it...

PastaandCheese Thu 13-Feb-14 19:09:00

Well we all know that none of it is proven to work but it's a rite of passage of sorts if you're overdue. I'm 38 weeks so starting to think about the eviction plan after I went over last time.

I'm definitely not having sex this time. I can't face it. I make a noise like a mating walrus just turning over in bed and it was sex that got me in this mess in the first place.

I am going to try reflexology this time on the advice of the midwife. It might work and if it doesn't it'll be nice to have my feet rubbed.

I might try hand expressing some colostrum too on the basis that and reflexology was the only thing I didn't try last time.

<clutches at straws>

motherinferior Thu 13-Feb-14 19:12:53

Could you suggest that the next person who asks about sex engages in it with you? (Obviously this won't work if they are a blood relative, eewww.)

I am sorry. It is the only pregnancy vileness I never had to endure.

LemonDrizzleCake11 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:06:24

Pastaandcheese - thanks for the mating walrus comment, it made me smile (and nothing else has achieved that today!)

motherinferior - its an idea, but probably falling into the 'playing with fire' category given my friends!

TheScience Thu 13-Feb-14 20:08:30

My midwife reckons antenatal expressing of colostrum is guaranteed to kick start labour grin

LemonDrizzleCake11 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:12:57

TheScience - that didn't work for me last time but since its something I can try with minimal effort required thanks for reminding me and I'll give it a shot this time!

TheScience Thu 13-Feb-14 20:15:33

I haven't been able to bring myself to try yet.

BetterWithCheese Thu 13-Feb-14 20:20:02

Evening Primrose Oil capsule on the cervix? TBH all it did for me was give me lots of cramps which kept me up and added to the tiredness. Just thought I'd put it out there though smile

LemonDrizzleCake11 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:42:40

Betterwithcheese - thanks for the suggestion with accompanied warning.

I think the general problem is by the time we're desperate enough ready to try these old wives suggestions we're so far gone some of us should be going into labour anyway just on a statistical basis.

I'd just really like to naturally go into labour this time...

SaucyJack Thu 13-Feb-14 20:59:41

I'm strongly considering digging my mum's mini trampoline out, and I'm nt overdue yet.

Shall let you know if it works tho.

LemonDrizzleCake11 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:20:32

Mini-trampoline?! Thats impressive coordination/balance for a pregnant lady!

PastaandCheese Thu 13-Feb-14 21:26:09

I'm bouncing listlessly on my ball if that counts? A mini trampoline seems very energetic.

SomethingOnce Thu 13-Feb-14 21:26:34

I will suggest what I always suggest... nipple stimulation.

It can be outsourced to an appropriate person while you eat the curry.

ladythatlunches Thu 13-Feb-14 21:31:51

Ladies nipple stimulation in bath.. atleast 20mins on each. If the baby is ready it will kick start very quick.

Good luck

LemonDrizzleCake11 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:32:34

I am also now on ball... colostrum expressing was actually quite hard work. I asked DH if me 'expressing' would disturb him watching tv... he replied that he daren't object to anything at the moment since I keep telling him this is all his fault oh yes it is, nothing to do with me at all, honest guv

Somethingonce - am all for outsourcing, guess it would leave me free to eat curry and crush an evening primrose capsule...

dizhin79 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:20:17

a small glass of port or wine, did the trick for my sister both times! I'm planning it add an indulgence as of next week!

Cariad007 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:40:55

Sex has been setting off mild contractions in me for weeks so if baby doesn't arrive as scheduled this weekend then next week is going to be a total bonkfest!

LavenderFox Fri 14-Feb-14 13:54:14

You can try a breastpump as well, if you have one. It should still leave the other hand free for a glass of wine and chocolate....

HannahG315 Fri 14-Feb-14 15:28:48

I'd say have a glass of wine... Who knows it MIGHT even put you in the mood.

God I cannot WAIT to have a glass of winewinewinewinewinewinewine

Catsize Sat 15-Feb-14 06:15:36

OP, you sound like me. 4.5kg baby first time, 16 days overdue and after horrible induction. Desperate to go into labour naturally but have a few things to do first
Approaching 40wks here...
No new suggestions - other than eating dates. Not tried it, but have a google. I intend to buy some tomorrow.

ZingSweetApple Sat 15-Feb-14 07:09:33

good plan lemon, but don't forget to run up and down the stairs, eat prunes and pineapples, stimulate your nipples and give a bj to your DH!

grin

PastaandCheese Sat 15-Feb-14 07:25:43

Up and down the stairs sideways though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now