Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant with a toddler?! Anyone want to chat about what a crap patent they've become?

(46 Posts)
Tory79 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:01:49

Oh I'm only 7 weeks but am slumped on the sofa with ds (2) watching cbeebies. The thought of making him lunch is a. Turning my stomach and b. far too much effort!

I feel nauseous and tired all the time and feel like I've become such a rubbish mummy, everything feels like such an effort sad and surely it's only going to get worse.

When I was pregnant with ds I felt awful for most of it, I think it was only months 5 and 6 that I felt half decent. But back then all I had to do was go to work, sit very still and try not to vomit! And I was surrounded by grown ups who understood and were nice to me!

I feel so bad and like I'm neglecting ds already. Anyone else in the same boat?

Tory79 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:02:06

Patent?! Parent!

McBaby Thu 13-Feb-14 12:11:18

Seven months pregnant and watching peppa pig with 18 month old very sore pelvis so feel I deserve it after taking her to soft play!

KatAndKit Thu 13-Feb-14 12:14:58

Five months here. Am lucky in that we can pay for 7 hours of childcare a week. So i am eating cake. I am sure that we will be watching mr tumble at least twice later on.

imisssleepandwine Thu 13-Feb-14 12:16:09

I'm sorry you feel like that. I'm in the same boat, I'm 12 weeks pregnant. I was due to go on a training course today but spent the morning vomiting so was to late to go and could face it. I sat at the kitchen table having breakfast with DD (3) who was chatting away all happy but I just wanted her to stop talking! she went of to crèche and I went back to bed even though I should be working and I'm so behind. We've eaten lots of pizza and chips dinners over the last few weeks as I can't face real cooking. And I don't even want to think about how much TV I am letting DD watch. I feel like a lazy, slob.

li41lh Thu 13-Feb-14 12:21:04

I'm at the other side, baby now 3 months old. Toddler can't say 'mummy'...but points to tv and says 'beebies'! Oops!

EnidClowes Thu 13-Feb-14 12:25:50

Oh it's shit isn't it! I've found it easier as the sickness has gone but my patience is shot and I've just had to give in to everything DD demands. Otherwise I end up shouting and getting into an argument which makes me feel like an awful mum. As due date gets closer I'm feeling more zen about it all. The excessive TV /DVD watching hasn't done her any damage and now I'm desperately trying to enjoy the time with just her. Good luck!

MummyPig24 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:44:31

I'm almost 36 weeks, I have an almost 4yr old and a 6yr old. Picked up dd from pre school, gave her lunch and she is watching Snow White on DVD. I'm tired, she's tired, a bit of tv won't hurt her.

When I was first pregnant during the summer holidays I spent a lot of time lying down in the garden whilst the children played. They probably don't remember it like that.

hmmmum Thu 13-Feb-14 13:17:07

Yes I'm letting my dd watch way too much cbeebies and I feel like the least fun person ever, just this tired sick energy-less lump on the sofa. Thank God my dd has a playgroup to go to where there are people who don't just lie around groaning oh I suppose I should get up now. I wouldn't worry too much though... I'm trying to tell myself, once I'm into the second trimester I'll have more energy and in the meantime I'm sure she'll be ok... My dh's mum let him watch crazy amounts of tv when she was pregnant as she was very sick the whole way through and he hasn't been remotely scarred. Developed very well in my opinion grin

Misty9 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:53:15

32wks here with a 2.5yo ds; yesterday I was so tired, and he wouldn't nap, so I fell asleep on the sofa. During which he opened the patio door and threw all his toys out into the garden in protest! Luckily I woke up before the downpour and retrieved them all. Will be locking that door in future...

I definitely felt worse in the first trimester though; dh picked up most the slack and I was still working 4 days a week which, tbh, was my saviour! I could just shut my office door and sleep/die of nausea. I'd do whatever you can to survive this period. More tv won't kill them - ds has completely gone off watching tv unfortunately. he won't get a choice in a few weeks with a newborn to suck the life out of me

Nahmate Thu 13-Feb-14 14:07:28

I have dd 2.2 yrs at home during day ( two ds's at school) I've got very slack, i still have bad ms all day and now horrible fainting episodes sad

we watch far too much cbeebies and dvds
some days the healthy eating is completely out the window. I feel like a crap parent but dd's happy and so are ds's when their at home and dh does take them out which I really appreciate.
I do feel guilty sad but I remind myself their happy, it's not forever! And im planning to take us all out some where special for a weekend to make it up to them.

sorry I waffled on then!.

Inglori0us Thu 13-Feb-14 14:24:17

31 weeks, dd is 23 months. Cbeebies is doing most of my parenting. My local area has loads of flooding and there's lots of road closures so it's hard to drive anywhere and my DH has been working oversees this week.
Woe is me.
Dd had a bag of pom bears and some toast for lunch.

Ilovekittyelise Thu 13-Feb-14 14:24:27

haha totally empathise; i had the baby on monday and now totally over compensating in addition to letting him eat bowl after bowl of shreddies in front of tv!

purplebaubles Thu 13-Feb-14 14:26:52

7 months pg and a 15month old to entertain! Who is only just toddling. Try more, falling over all the time. Which, when you're in pain from spd and have piled on weight and thus find it hard to bend..just agghhH! Nappy changes are awful!

At least those of you with older toddlers don't have nappies to worry about!

OnTheRunAndUpTheDuff Thu 13-Feb-14 14:46:52

36 weeks with 22mo ds. This week he has had a nasty tummy bug and I have a grim cold. I average about 3-4 hours sleep a night. I have SPD which just gets worse as the baby burrows ever further into my pelvis.

Dh has taken over all the housework, cooking etc, as well as working full time. All I have to do is take care of ds and myself while dh is at work. I am failing to cope even with that.

Cbeebies is the only thing allowing me to keep hold of a thread of sanity. Before I became pregnant ds had never watched tv. We now have it on about ten hours a day.

I would quite like this baby to turn up now, so I can have a rest.

IShallCallYouSquishy Thu 13-Feb-14 16:50:38

37+3 here. Peppa Pig has been our saviour. We didn't spend all afternoon on the sofa watching tv the other day. Oh no not at all wink

I'm on operation baby eviction now though so been out walking and cleaning and hoovering to try and encourage labour. (I know I'm kidding myself!)

Tory79 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:10:30

Literally we have spent nearly the whole day watching tv today. We went to his rhythm time class this morning then had a quick trip to the shops, but apart from that (and lunchtime) the tv has been on and I've been curled up on the sofa. He hand a nap on me in the lounge thank god, so I dozed as well. He gave up his nap just before Xmas and I have never missed it more than right now sad

Poor ds, I am RUBBISH.

ZingSweetApple Thu 13-Feb-14 17:20:18

18 weeks pg with #7 and had a horrid virus over the weekend.
was better yesterday but now wiped out by a cold

watching Fraiser and ignoring my children - older ones on Minecraft, younger ones having a very late nap coz today I just couldn't care less.

still feeling sick and despite having done shopping (hero here) I think dinner will be cereal or porridge.

I feel bleurgh.
sorry for all of you feeling similar/worse

GingerRodgers Thu 13-Feb-14 17:23:51

Nearly 10 weeks here.
Dd has taken to pretend vomming whenever we're near a toilet. I was a bit shockconfused as she's obviously copying me blush.
Lots of tv I'm afraid. Good job she likes colouring and reading so we sit down a lot.
Have also taken to pretending to sleep through the crying if she wakes up so dh is forced to do it for once grin
Lots of snacking also to stave off the vomming.
Sorry dd!

OnTheRunAndUpTheDuff Thu 13-Feb-14 17:24:12

Just saw the midwife and the baby's head is 'deeply engaged'. No shit sherlock!

This means that either I am about to go into labour, or I have several more weeks walking around feeling like I'm going to split in two. Any guesses which option I've got my money on?

Dh is home so I am back in bed and ds is getting to do something other than watch the last week's Postman Pat episodes on a constant loop.

Iworrymyselftosleep Thu 13-Feb-14 17:26:50

Hyperemesis for last nine weeks. Feel like a zombie. DS, poor wee chap, muddling through while I lie still and try not to vomit.

Yesterday he followed me to the loo, stroked my hair while I puked and said "mumny no more be sick. I think you go to bed now. You not feel well. I carry you." I cried.

He wants to name the baby peppa or george.

Tory79 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:27:34

And now he's still watching tv as I thought in for a penny in for a pound! May as well finish the day as it started smile

I'm not even sat with him, I'm in the kitchen stuffing my face with bread and dairylea as it's the only thing that seems to settle my stomach.

TerrariaMum Thu 13-Feb-14 17:27:46

I have a 3 year old, a nearly 10 mo, and am about 29 weeks pg with DC3 (welcome surprise baby).

And I don't think any of us are rubbish. There are worse things than cbeebies. And I think every time we make it out somewhere, we should pat ourselves on the back if we can reach.

Tory79 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:28:39

Aww bless your ds iworry

SomethingOnce Thu 13-Feb-14 17:49:00

The thread title made me laugh - you must be huge!

32 weeks here and DD is spending a lot of time with the one-eyed babysitter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now