Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Asking to be induced on due date... experiences? Likely to say yes?

(15 Posts)
MoominIsGoingToBeAMumEEEEK Thu 13-Feb-14 11:24:27

Hello smile
I'm 29 weeks pregnant, due end of April, but prior to pregnancy I've been waiting for consultant appointment because of suspected adhesions; lots of them, from previous bowel surgery, as well as a scar that was glued together as a temporary measure but they didn't actually go back and re-do it properly, so it's affected the muscles and the skin quite a lot. I didn't get a chance to talk it over with anyone before getting pregnant as this was all a bit of an accident so I was never prepared for it.

I'm only 29 weeks but I've been in agony with the pain from the stretching and squashing of everything. I'm meant to be a full-time student at uni still until about 38 weeks when term ends, but I've been in for an hour in the last two weeks because of the pain and discomfort. My scar (just above my belly button) has been stretched really far and is really uncomfortable, I'm trying to keep everything moisturised but it's having no effect, and neither is painkillers. I know conspitation is normal in pregnancy, but I'm down to going twice a week, three times at most when I used to be quite regular even despite the adhesions, and lactulose isn't helping.

The thought of carrying on like this until 40 weeks is bad enough, but I'm petrified of going overdue and having to carry on until they induce me if that had to happen. I mean I'm finding it so hard now at 29 weeks, my bump is measuring spot on for dates but everyone's warning me that I'll 'pop' in the next few weeks and get massive, and the thought of getting any bigger than this is making me feel shaky just thinking about it. Normally I have a good pain tolerance which is why I know this is bad, it's had me crying most nights. I can't get out of bed without help because it hurts just to stretch and stand up.

So far each consultant appt has been with a different person, and none have been great - the last one said you can't hear a heartbeat at 28 weeks - but is there any chance they will allow me to be induced at 40 weeks or a little bit earlier? Everyone keeps asking me if I'm scared of giving birth and the pain and the honest answer is I haven't even thought about that, the pain at the minute is so much it'll be worth it to get the baby out!

Sorry for the long rant. Just could do with some advice.

Rummikub Thu 13-Feb-14 11:49:03

Hi would you consider a c section at 38 weeks? It sounds like you are in great deal of discomfort. Go make a lot of noise and explain exactly how you feel.

Congratulations by the way!

sunshinemeg Thu 13-Feb-14 11:53:01

I am 37+4, I am seeing consultant in a weeks time and they have said last week they will induce then or next day due to severe SPD. Baby is measuring a good size and all else has been fine so it is possible to get things moving sooner rather than being made to wait.

Good luck

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumEEEEK Thu 13-Feb-14 11:55:15

I'd definitely consider that. Obviously I want the baby to be fully grown etc but I know that 37 weeks is term, any time from then onwards as long as it eases the pressure and pain on my body! I'm not sleeping at all lately so I'm worried how I'll be when the baby's born with no chance of sleep for the forseeable future, and 15 weeks of barely sleeping to catch up on!!

Who should I ask, consultant or midwife? I have midwife next week, consultant at 34 weeks.

Thanks! smile

Pinkbell123 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:14:52

Ask the consultant. I'm in a similar situation - previous op on my stomach through my diaphragm meaning the scar tissue won't stretch and I'm constantly out of breath with a lot of pain. I managed to get a due date induction (well, due tomorrow but I wanted to avoid the weekend).

If you're in so much pain already push for an early induction or even c section. Good luck, x

Rummikub Thu 13-Feb-14 12:19:39

Can you see consultant earlier? As its such a worry for you, might make sense to have a plan in place you're happy with.

Pinkbell123 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:20:24

Oh and be clear about how dreadful you're feeling. I'm usually as 'yeah everything's great' even when I feel like shit but they took me seriously when I told them how dreadful I felt. Don't be afraid to admit you're having trouble coping.

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumEEEEK Thu 13-Feb-14 12:24:47

My consultant has said he doesn't want to see me again until after 32 week scan hmm

Thanks Pinkbell and good luck! x

Rummikub Thu 13-Feb-14 12:26:36

Ok, so does he know your bowel surgery history?

HavingAnOffDAy Thu 13-Feb-14 12:38:25


My circumstances are different to yours. DC1 was breach (diagnosed at 39 weeks) so her birth was ELCS, and with DC2 I had really bad SPG/PGP.

I was under consultant care for DC2 and my initial appointment was with a registrar who was very unhelpful. He wouldn't listen to my concerns, or DH's (unusual for him to stick up for me so I knew my fears weren't unfounded!) and put me down for a VBAC.

I was really uncomfortable with his decision (which he implied had been mine in his notes) and, after advice from my physio, made another appointment for myself & refused to see anyone other than the consultant that I had been assigned to for my care.

Thankfully he did listen & agreed to an ELCS straight away.

What I'm trying to say is make an appointment with your consultant if you are able (I just phoned the ante-natal unit to do this), and insist that you only see the consultant responsible for your care. Only he/she can make any decisions regarding your case. At our local hospital there can be up to 4 registrars/consultants working on the ante-natal appointments at one time & it's effectively pot luck whether you get to see your assigned consultant or not (it's a take a ticket number system).

Good luck!

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumEEEEK Thu 13-Feb-14 13:01:05

Rummikub I told him what I had, he spelled it wrong in my notes and didn't ask what it was and said "it's unlikely to affect you". And then moved on before I could push the matter hmm it doesn't help that I'm a wimp when it comes to doctors.

I haven't actually seen the consultant who's down on my notes as being my consultant yet, despite having 3 appointments. Every time I asked, they said he was away.

highlove Thu 13-Feb-14 13:19:32

My situation is different to yours but am also consultant-led but had seen a different registrar each appt and to be honest had found them all a bit hit and miss - lovely guy at 20 weeks, uniterested cow at 32. At the last one I asked to see the consultant and NOT a registrar. I waited over an hour but well worth it. He actually offered me induction anytime from 38 weeks. I will probably try and hold out for a bit, but does show that yes you should be able to agree an induction at 40 weeks or even a bit before if you have a good reason even if it's not medically essential, IYSWIM.

Good luck!

Rummikub Thu 13-Feb-14 13:48:39

Hmmm, sounds like you do need to make them hear you. Start with your midwife stating how much pain and discomfort your in.

Could someone go with you if that helps?

I hate it when I don't get heard, it's v frustrating.

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumEEEEK Thu 13-Feb-14 13:53:36

I'll ask my OH to come to the next appointment with me. My midwife is lovely and sympathetic so hopefully I'll have some support from there smile

Rummikub Thu 13-Feb-14 14:13:38

Good luck. Write it all down, so you don't miss anything out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now