Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will I get another scan?

(8 Posts)
twinnymumstephanie Thu 13-Feb-14 10:17:14

Hello everyone!

I had a early, early scan last month (13th January) because of a bit of bleeding. They told me at the time that I was just under 7 weeks pregnant with twins.

I have another appointment for Monday which is a scan and booking appointment (I'm in Scotland - not sure if we're different to other places or not so just throwing that out there) but it specifically says several times on the letter "IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY HAD A SCAN, A FURTHER SCAN MAY NOT BE REQUIRED AT BOOKING APPOINTMENT".

Does anyone know if I will likely "require" another scan? I see the midwife tomorrow morning so I should get a clear answer (hopefully) then but just in the meantime I thought I'd ask here.

Highlandbird Thu 13-Feb-14 10:20:32

I think it depends on the hospital / region and their policy, I had my boys in Oban and had a scan at 9 weeks with DS1 and then another at 13 weeks as they didn't get accurate measurements and then the 20 week anomaly scan, with DS2 I think I had two scans. Did they measure at your first scan? If not then they will probably need to do that anyway.

Highlandbird Thu 13-Feb-14 10:21:11

Congratulations by the way grin thanks

cogitosum Thu 13-Feb-14 10:24:33

I'm in England but I would imagine you will as 7 weeks is still very early and they wouldn't have been able to do all the measurements for the tests.

With twins I think you have very regular scans.

Congratulations!

schmalex Thu 13-Feb-14 10:29:48

Yes, I think you would still get a dating scan at 12 weeks or so. I don't think an early scan at 7 weeks would let them date the pregnancy. They also can't do all the checks that they would do at 12 weeks, like looking at the organs or the nuchal fold test.

slightlyinsane Thu 13-Feb-14 10:40:59

I'm in Scotland and having twins. You will get a dating scan around 12 wks to confirm twin pregnancy and the type of twins they are. This will then dictate your future care. I'm having id twins and have been scanned fortnightly since 16 wks. I believe non id are scanned less frequently, 4 wks until further on in pregnancy. Congrats btw :-)

twinnymumstephanie Thu 13-Feb-14 10:43:17

That's great, I can't wait to see them again if this is the case smile

Schmalex, the sonographer told me that one of the babies were measuring at almost 8mm and the other was 6mm. They estimated that I was due on the 3rd of September but did say that could change.

Thanks Highlandbird smile

twinnymumstephanie Thu 13-Feb-14 10:48:02

Slightlyinsane, the woman who took my early scan was able to tell me that they are "dizygotic diamniotic twins" (god, that's a mouthful) which is the kind that have separate sacs and placentas. She also said they're most likely non-identical twins.

I'm just hoping for this scan so I can see them again, they were like little beans last time so I really can't wait for a clearer picture to look at and show off smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now