Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No appetite and lost se weight- worried

(11 Posts)
LittleMissPear Thu 13-Feb-14 08:03:02

I'm 10 weeks, from weeks 6-9 I've had nausea which was usually relieved by eating and I was beginning to feel that I was going to turn into a cheese scone with the amount of carbs I was putting away smile
Since I turned 10 weeks it's completely changed, the nausea is constant and I have no appetite, I'm also dehydrated as I can't face anything. I've now lost weight and I'm worried. Will this have an impact on development of the baby? Forcing myself to go to work today but I just want to lie in bedhmm

rachyconks Thu 13-Feb-14 08:08:58

I was like this - and still have periods of 1-2 weeks at a time when it comes back. I'm 34 weeks and lighter than when I first got pregnant. I was the same with my DD. It's really hard. I find eating ice or drinking ice cold water helps with the dehydration. As for food, I just have to find things that seem appealing. Normally it's the thought of eating that is worse for me than actually doing it. Chips are about the only thing I can force myself to eat when I'm like that.

It's hard, but you won't damage your baby unless it continues for a long period of time. I would discuss your concerns with your GP/midwife/consultant (your scan must be soon?). Obviously it would be better if we could all eat a healthy balanced diet when pregnant, but it's not always possible!

sdaisy26 Thu 13-Feb-14 09:45:49

It's quite normal ime - first pg I lost 4kg in the first trimester (& was about 60 to start with), this pg I was more like 65 to start but lost over 7kg between 5 and 11 weeks. No one seemed very bothered, and it's all find back on now (35 weeks)! Hope you feel better soon.

LittleMissPear Thu 13-Feb-14 13:25:51

Thanks rachy and sdaisy, good to know that this is sort of normal! I thought I'd got away with just a little nausea clearly not shock. It was the weight loss that worried me but will keep trying to eat little and often. Thanks

RaRa1988 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:28:58

Don't worry - it's very early days for you yet smile. I lost 5 pounds in less than a week at some point during the horrible sicky phase of weeks 7-11, and I was only just over eight stone to start with. I felt like shit and was so weak I barely moved, but baby is fine - they take whatever they need and you're the one who suffers! I'm now 23 weeks and baby is doing really well and I'm feeling great most of the time. Things picked up for me at 11-13 weeks and I've been much more like my normal self since then. Hopefully you will be too!

Hellymummy Thu 13-Feb-14 17:12:40

I have lost so much weight since being pregnant! My face looks so thin! I have no appetite, I'm trying to force food down me but then feeling sick, heaving and gagging!!! It's awful!!!

Mim78 Thu 13-Feb-14 18:00:07

Sounds normal to me. However you need to try to drink to avoid dehydration. If it's a big problem go to GP or at least ring them or mw to see if can help.

I would also suggest getting some rest even if has.to be from annual leave.

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Feb-14 18:09:01

If you are dehydrated you really need to see your mw. The weight loss is not a big concern at the moment. I had hyperemisis and lost a stone and a half in the first trimester of both pg, which no doc was worried about, but I was so sick and dehydrated that I was in hospital on a drip for several weeks.

Have a look here

scrufhead Thu 13-Feb-14 19:16:55

im 12 weeks and havent had an hour of not feeling sick. literally does not go away!! im getting really fed up with it now, and im sick up to 8 times a day :/ I too can just about stomach oven chips! hope yours settles soon OP. I'd say sickness tablets but theyre not really helping me atm, kinda loosing faith in them. x

scrufhead Thu 13-Feb-14 19:18:00

oh and yeah, you shouldnt worry unless you become dehydrated like PP mentioned!

TheOnlySeven Fri 14-Feb-14 13:04:25

Being dehydrated is a problem, but losing weight isn't in the short term. It's a horrible way of describing it but the baby is like a parasite, it will get what it needs, it will be your body that goes without, baby will be fine though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now