Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Positive gestational diabetes experiences!

(5 Posts)
Rosduk Wed 12-Feb-14 19:32:42

Just got diagnosed today at 26weeks. We lost our son a few hours after birth at 27 weeks after an emergency section last year (not to do with gestational diabetes!) so this pregnancy was always going to be stressful and I'm now feeling completely overwhelmed.

I have my appointment tomorrow to discuss what happens now but I'm feeling incredibly anxious tonight.

Any positive stories would be appreciated- how have you managed to control it?

sisterofcaleb Wed 12-Feb-14 21:15:38

Hi Ros

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your baby son.

They will talk it all through with you tomorrow but honestly you don't need to worry (I don't want to say try not to worry as I know that can be impossible!).

You will be monitoring your blood sugars now so they will be tip top when your baby is born! It is very normal to become insulin resistant during pregnancy and often it is not diagnosed so I am grateful I have been prompted to keep an eye on mine.

I had GD first pregnancy which I controlled with diet, my DS was born very healthily at 42+2 weeks. This time around I am 22 weeks and monitoring my blood sugars and eating a low GI diet. So far they are ok. If your blood sugar levels can't stay within the targets they give you with diet and exercise (that's ok!) then they can help you out with medication to control it.

Apart from the obvious cutting out sugar, then looking up low GI foods may be helpful once you have been to the clinic tomorrow. If you search for old threads on here you will see lots of diet tips!

But for tonight, remember this is something that you will completely be able to manage either through diet or medication, and the medical team will keep a close eye on you and help you.

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and you get some sleep tonight.

hubbahubster Thu 13-Feb-14 12:35:53

So sorry for your loss.

I too had GD with DS (very borderline, diagnosed at the GTT at 28 weeks) and just had to monitor my blood sugar 4 times a day. Mine wasn't an extreme case – I didn't need tablets or insulin – it was more just a pain in the bum to have to go to fortnightly diabetic clinics than anything else.

DS was born healthy by ELCS (not GD-related) at 39 weeks, 6lb13oz so not a whopper. The GD diagnosis doesn't seem to have affected him at all and he's now a strapping 2.5-yr-old.

This time I'm monitoring my own levels (I'm 24 weeks) but that's it so far. It's really not something you need to lose sleep over. GD seems to be a big thing in hospitals at the moment and midwives are very on the ball at early diagnosis and treatment.

Hope all goes well for you smile

Rosduk Thu 13-Feb-14 12:45:15

Thanks guys. I am also borderline so just monitoring levels twice a day- if those readings are high they will rethink. I feel much more relaxed after the meeting and hopefully I will be able to control with diet and exercise!

hubbahubster Thu 13-Feb-14 12:54:50

It's funny what makes your levels spike/stabilise. I found avocado sorted my levels out beautifully, no idea why. Banana and peanut butter or scrambled eggs also gave really good readings. And eating five times a day instead of three kept things stable too.

Sure all be well for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now