Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low lying placenta

(11 Posts)
Barbsta Wed 12-Feb-14 15:44:54

Just what a pregnant woman needs sad you's will know well how much we can worry without this. They told me it was nothing to worry about and gave me a a4 bit of paper to read. Wasn't until I was rushed out the room I had the chance to read it so now I have unanswered questions and know it is definitely something to worry about. Has anyone else had this same problem? I have to wait till I'm 32 weeks to see if it's moved when most people have one at 28

hubbahubster Wed 12-Feb-14 16:20:31

Hiya, have had this both times. Really is nothing to worry about. If it's covering the whole of your cervix you may have some bleeding and have to take it easy/go to hospital, which could obviously become more serious, but I haven't had bleeding either time.

With DS they didn't scan me until 36 weeks to see if it had moved, this time they're checking at 32 weeks – just seen my midwife for 24 week check-up and she says this is completely standard now.

I had a CS with DS as placenta hadn't moved. It was absolutely fine, excellent care, quick recovery. A very different experience from my friends who have had emergency sections.

Please don't stress about it smile won't damage baby and that's the most important thing.

SweetPea86 Wed 12-Feb-14 16:26:01

Hi Hun at my 20 weeks scan I was told the same and that was it no info at all. Lots of help on here tho. I'm 31 weeks now and have a scan at 36 weeks. Apparently every one keeps telling me it will move up and not to worry about it so I'll just wait till scan x

Barbsta Wed 12-Feb-14 16:55:28

There is an 80% chance it will move up if you take it easy sweetpea but it's the wait that's hard. I know some people get scans at 28 weeks and I'm tempted to pay for a private scan then

Barbsta Wed 12-Feb-14 16:59:07

Thanks hubbahubster I didn't know if it would effect the baby so it really helps to hear that

slightlyinsane Wed 12-Feb-14 17:06:22

I had a scan at 18wks and was told I had a low lying placenta, it reaches my cervix but doesn't cover it. My consultant didn't bat an eye when she read my notes. I went away and googled all the negative points of it.
At my 20wk scan I spoke to my consultant about it and now I have no concerns, well very few. There is no point in scanning any earlier than 32 ish weeks as mostgrowth of your uterus happens in the 3rd trimester and it is the lower part that grows. So as it grows the placenta will change position as it does. Statistically few placentas found low lying at 20wks remain that way by 32wks. I'm not overly concerned at all, as there is nothing I can do about it.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 12-Feb-14 17:24:24

How far along are you and how low is it?

Barbsta Wed 12-Feb-14 17:41:13

I was told it was lower then normal reaching the birth canal and I'm 21 weeks. Of the list of causes the only one mine could be was a loop biopsy I had which I was worried about from the beginning

longleggedlady Wed 12-Feb-14 20:02:57

I also have a low placenta. Have been told not to worry at all so I'm not! I'm 21 weeks and will have a scan to check in it at 32 weeks. Try not to worry! X

HelenHen Wed 12-Feb-14 20:11:27

I've got it too. They missed it at my 20 week but I'm consultant led so had a growth scan at 28 weeks and they found it then. Have my 32 week scan next week so fingers crossed. I don't want cs sad . I cried when consultant told me and she asked why I was upset shock . They didn't give me any leaflets though so had to rely on Google!

tinkerbell666 Wed 12-Feb-14 21:15:47

I had this, just be prepared, its not always straighforward sad i had 4 massive hemmorages, 32 weeks, 34 weeks, 35 weeks and 37 weeks which resulted in high risk section. Mine was grade 3 major placenta praevia, sitting over my cervix. The biggest risk is bloodloss obviously, the low placenta doesn't harm baby but big blood loss is a risk to you and baby !! My best advice is if you bleed call 999 for the sake of you and baby ! I had 2 rides in ambulance with blue lights, its considered an emergency if you bleed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now